Brompton tyre choice..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks again folks.

I've done a bit more research including watching this excellent video...

I think the couple who make these vids deserve a special mention - often when watching youtube videos for education I find myself underwhelmed by a lack of information / depth; however every time I watch content from this channel I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of information offered and rarely find myself with any questions left by the end :smile:

In summary it looks like the Marathon Racers are potentially the sweet spot between all the main factors (grip, cost, puncture protection, mass, rolling resistance..) while I have no gripes so far with my experience of them so I'll probably stick with these. The Conti urban seem close in many ways but I'm happy to stick to a known quantity; plus it's nice to have matched tyres on the bike.

I do like the look of the tan wall folding variant, but I'm not sure that they're worth the extra (getting on for double the price of the standard rigid offerings) and again the bike would probably look a bit cack with one of each fitted while the remaining black item wore out..

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thanks again folks.

I've done a bit more research including watching this excellent video...

I think the couple who make these vids deserve a special mention - often when watching youtube videos for education I find myself underwhelmed by a lack of information / depth; however every time I watch content from this channel I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of information offered and rarely find myself with any questions left by the end :smile:

In summary it looks like the Marathon Racers are potentially the sweet spot between all the main factors (grip, cost, puncture protection, mass, rolling resistance..) while I have no gripes so far with my experience of them so I'll probably stick with these. The Conti urban seem close in many ways but I'm happy to stick to a known quantity; plus it's nice to have matched tyres on the bike.

I do like the look of the tan wall folding variant, but I'm not sure that they're worth the extra (getting on for double the price of the standard rigid offerings) and again the bike would probably look a bit cack with one of each fitted while the remaining black item wore out..

The channel is excellent, been subscribed for a few years, a goldmine of in depth information. The latest video ( I think ) was an extended test of the Conti's

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The channel is excellent, been subscribed for a few years, a goldmine of in depth information. The latest video ( I think ) was an extended test of the Conti's

Thanks - I'll take a look as tbh I do like the way the dark tan walls look...

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thanks - I'll take a look as tbh I do like the way the dark tan walls look...

The Tan walls look really good, I'd purchased the regular Conti's before the tan walls became an option. I'm a sucker for fettling and the tan wall conti's may go well with my orange / black M6L 🤔

u_i

Über Member
My only experience with summer tires for Brompton is with Marathons and Conti Urban. Certainly Conti are faster, but there is one negative that comes with them. When turning in rain on smooth asphalt I found myself many times excessively close to slipping. The solution is to take wide turns, but one day many factors to take care of might be there all at once, and there might be a price to pay there for the substandard lateral grip in the wet.

Top Bottom