Brompton waiting time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I find the remark that Brompton should first care about UK market insulting, though maybe consistent with sentiments that spurred Brexit. When ordering a custom Brompton from a US-based dealer in 2015 it took 8 weeks for me to get it.

I'm a little lost: why, and to whom, is it insulting to ponder if a company focuses on one particular geographical area ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm a little lost: why, and to whom, is it insulting to ponder if a company focuses on one particular geographical area ?
Well it might be insulting (to people from area B) if someone said they should focus on area A and should not focus on area B. Especially if it was backed up by reasoning such as "because people from area A are better than people from area B" But I don't think anyone is actually saying that, or even implying it.

But really it's up the Brompton to set their own strategy.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I thought it was just me.

The sub-text is some general resentment built up over many years from the UK dealer towards Brompton.

They can be quite difficult to deal with.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
A tentative Brompton inquiry gathered the news that waiting time for a custom Brommie is currently 13 weeks.

Longer than usual, a bike ordered today might not arrive before Christmas.

My Brommie dealer, who professes no inside knowledge, wonders if the delay is caused by Brexit.

I hate to mention the B word on this section of the forum, but I suppose it's possible foreign dealers are ordering extra bikes, fearful that supply might be interrupted after October 31.

My dealer reckons it's an example of Brompton looking after the export market when they should be supporting UK dealers.

Brompton has always been a law unto itself, and dealers do find them frustrating to deal with.

Is it likely Brexit is responsible for longer waiting time for UK customers?
To be fair, if I thought my export market might dry up at the end of the year, and all I would then have was the domestic market, I'd concentrate on the former for the time being too.

u_i

Über Member

Well, I am insulted by

"My dealer reckons it's an example of Brompton looking after the export market when they should be supporting UK dealers.

Brompton has always been a law unto itself, and dealers do find them frustrating to deal with."

if I am to spell it out. This means that foreign markets, dealers and customers there as myself, should be treated as a lower priority than UK dealers and by inference customers. This is the dealer's stand, but there is more when the stand is not challenged and by being quoted reaffirmed. Yes,off the cuff remarks matter, both reflecting sentiments and perpetrating attitudes. The company as such can focus on one area or another - there are plenty of factors to consider.

Kell

Veteran
I didn't read in that way at all.

Yes, the dealer's stand is that Brompton 'should be concentrating on the UK market' but I don't believe quoting it and putting it up for discussion means anyone's agreeing with it.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Well, I am insulted by

"My dealer reckons it's an example of Brompton looking after the export market when they should be supporting UK dealers.

Brompton has always been a law unto itself, and dealers do find them frustrating to deal with."

if I am to spell it out. This means that foreign markets, dealers and customers there as myself, should be treated as a lower priority than UK dealers and by inference customers. This is the dealer's stand, but there is more when the stand is not challenged and by being quoted reaffirmed. Yes,off the cuff remarks matter, both reflecting sentiments and perpetrating attitudes. The company as such can focus on one area or another - there are plenty of factors to consider.

To be honest, I'm not really following your argument. Quoting doesn't mean agreeing with the post, it is for clarity - showing which post, or part of a post is being referenced.

It was a UK bicycle dealer wanting/wishing Brompton would support UK dealers more - perfectly fine desire for a UK dealer. It had nothing to do with Brompton as a company - as far as I can see ?

Top Bottom