Brompton Wheels in the wet........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E14JMC

A colleague of mine and I have both slipped and fell on glossy-concrete during un-seasonally wet weather this Summer in London, both using Bromptons. What is the consensus view on small wheels versus standard wheels in the wet? Brompton tyres are broad enough and the rubber contacting the ground seems very similar to me! Anybody have an opinion? Has a study ever been done? Thanks!

si_c

Guru
Doubt the wheel size makes much difference. A slippy floor is slippy regardless of wheelsize.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
......or width of tyre or type of rubber. A very smooth surface with water will always cause problems. In the house we have marble floors which are very smooth and when water gets spilt and I don’t see and in bare feet it’s very easy to go A over T .

chap

Veteran
I found the Schwalbe Marathon range to lack in grip. I was initially rather peeved when the LBS replaced my rear Brompton Kevlar tyre with the Marathon, finding myself having to quickly adapt my cycling style after several close shaves where the rear tyre skidded during wet weather. Fortunately they improved, a little, over time and are almost bulletproof.

OP
OP
E14JMC

E14JMC

I use the Marathon and it is indeed bullet-proof. Perhaps a softer front tyre may help as the winter months approach?

Dwn

Bromptons, marathon tyres, and wet & smooth surfaces are not a good combination. I've had the wheels slide from under me more than once in these circumstances.

OP
OP
E14JMC

E14JMC

Can anybody suggest a softer tyre possibly for use front-only that will aid grip as the weather worsens? Thanks!

I have Marathon on my road winter bike and never had a problem in the wet.
Kojaks on the Brompton and no issues there either.
If it's raining just don't push as hard into corners ?

Nufab

Über Member
I’ve got Marathon Racers on mine, and I find if I let the tyre pressures drop, I can make the back of the bike slide about by pedalling hard.. even more so around corners. Never had that on a regular bike. I definitely keep on top of the tyre pressures now!

Kell

Veteran
Somebody recommended continentals a little while back, but I don't know which model.

A quick Google suggests it might have been these, but they're pricey.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brompton-Continental-Contact-Urban-price/dp/B086CBJ8QZ/ref=asc_df_B086CBJ8QZ/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726549883990&psc=1

ETA:

Cheaper here - and I bet you could get a deal in time.

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/continental-urban-tyre-for-brompton

I know I was tempted for next time. I run Marathon+ for the puncture resistance, but I don't have anything to compare them to as I've always used them.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru

£28.45 at Brilliant Bikes Kell, I've got a set on one of my Brommies. Smoother ride that my M+ and no visits from the PF so far

Top Bottom