Brompton: Which is lightest pre-modifications?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Light is a relative term when it comes to Bromptons, none are what you might classify as light. The Superlight is 11.3kg. The standard model is 13kg so not much saving.
You say ‘pre modification’, with the which Superlight already has titanium rear triangle and fork plus other lightweight components it’s difficult to see what else could be modified to save weight.

If the OPs goal is lightness he might be better looking elsewhere, the Hummingbird is currently the lightest at sub 7kg but rather pricey.

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
Hi, which Brompton model is the lightest pre-modifications; is it the Superlight? thanks
The question seems a bit confusing - what else if the Superlight should be the lightest Brommi? :whistle: Of the model range the lightest is the S2Ex - S-bars, 2-speed (single speed is no longer avial.), no mudguards or rear carrier (E) Ti-Parts (x=Superlight). Pick the Kojak as tires from factory in the configurator and safe another bunch of grams.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can't buy a new singlespeed now, so it would be an S2E-X. No mudguards or pump, some titanium bits.

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's a Colin Chapman (the Lotus guy) quote iirc. Simplify, and add more lightness.
Wasn't that simplicate?

Kell

Veteran
i've seen it attributed to Chapman more often than not.

He believed that if a race car wasn't falling apart as it crossed the finish line it was over-engineered.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Light is a relative term when it comes to Bromptons, none are what you might classify as light. The Superlight is 11.3kg. The standard model is 13kg so not much saving.
You say ‘pre modification’, with the which Superlight already has titanium rear triangle and fork plus other lightweight components it’s difficult to see what else could be modified to save weight.

If the OPs goal is lightness he might be better looking elsewhere, the Hummingbird is currently the lightest at sub 7kg but rather pricey.
They are getting heavier. my 2005 SL3 was/is 10.4kg the difference pretty much being the brompton titanium seatpost no longer being available, although there are some aftermarket option i believe. they are also getting more expensive, mine was £982 before C2W tax advantages.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Possibly it might be one of these:

O1CN012qdkyL1ESLHGWQ7TO__23700350_grande.jpg

Top Bottom