Brompton with rack/without rack fender differences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I recently upgraded my Brompton from fenders only to rack + fender and the new fender (rear) is much closer to the tire than the old one. It's so close (like 2mm) that if I bump the fender it rubs on the tire. Has anyone else seen this issue and is there anything I can do about it? I'm pretty sure I did the installation correctly, but I could be wrong.

CEBEP

I recently upgraded my Brompton from fenders only to rack + fender and the new fender (rear) is much closer to the tire than the old one. It's so close (like 2mm) that if I bump the fender it rubs on the tire. Has anyone else seen this issue and is there anything I can do about it? I'm pretty sure I did the installation correctly, but I could be wrong.

Would you care to share some pictures? Including all connection points of the rack and fender.

Not on a Brompton imo. The gap is so small between the mudguard and tyre even the smallest pebble can get trapped in there. When riding on wet gravel it can sound like a washing machine.
Weird. I've never had that and I've ridden some off-road bike paths on it with plenty of gravel. I do have slicks on it so maybe that's the difference ?

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
Remove the fenders and just have a rack. I have never used fenders on my Bromptons.
You're right. I live in Southern California. I need fenders for about four hours every ten years. I'll just take them off. Problem solved.

u_i

Über Member
You're right. I live in Southern California. I need fenders for about four hours every ten years. I'll just take them off. Problem solved.

During my winter stay in S California, accompanied by a folder, I remember horrible rains, with minor streams turning into rivers, flooded bike paths and mountain slopes sliding down. Incidentally, I seemed to be about the only person riding, at least along my commute. Hmm 😏

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
During my winter stay in S California, accompanied by a folder, I remember horrible rains, with minor streams turning into rivers, flooded bike paths and mountain slopes sliding down. Incidentally, I seemed to be about the only person riding, at least along my commute. Hmm 😏
Exactly. I don't need to ride in the rain because next weekend the weather will be perfect. I don't commute because I live 4000' above where I work (I'm not exaggerating). If it's raining I have a smart trainer and a Zwift subscription. I can't imagine why I ever thought I needed fenders. Must have been a senior moment. :laugh:

12boy

Guru
I had some until the front one broke. I liked them when they were on for the cleanliness of the bike more than keeping me dry. I have a saddlebag that keeps water off the bottom of my leather saddle, no rack and different sizes of front bags. A rear rack with a bag would work well as a fender, though. Seems it would affect the fold.

OP
OP
ExBrit

ExBrit

Über Member
I have them.

I commute in the UK.
I used to until I moved. Here's my current commute's elevation profile. Now I don't commute anymore.
1645939143112.png

Top Bottom