Brompton won't stay folded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have an elderly, 20 year old M3. When folded, as soon as it is picked up the front wheel and bars will come loose and swing out. The hook is intact, and the the stays for the front mudguard aren't bent. Any Ideas please.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Picture please

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

I have an elderly, 20 year old M3. When folded, as soon as it is picked up the front wheel and bars will come loose and swing out. The hook is intact, and the the stays for the front mudguard aren't bent. Any Ideas please.
20211004_165015.jpg

20211004_164944.jpg

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

It is almost like the rear wheel and stays drop slightly when lifted, allowing the hook to come free.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Possibly you have lost the stopper disk that is attached behind the rear brake or it needs adjustment. When you drop the seat post and lift the bike the stopper disk is blocked by the seat post and hinders the rear frame from dropping and as a consequence the folded bike disassembling the folded package.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Possibly you have lost the stopper disk that is attached behind the rear brake or it needs adjustment. When you drop the seat post and lift the bike the stopper disk is blocked by the seat post and hinders the rear frame from dropping and as a consequence the folded bike disassembling the folded package.
Indeed, I have just had a proper look again and the stopper disc is not there.
I have had the bike for 18 years, bought second hand, and although this problem did occur occasionally, it now happens every time.
20211004_174502.jpg

Top Bottom