Brompton's first cycle-camping trip ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
So I'm off for my first cyle-camping trip for something like 25 or more years. I could have taken the Rourke, I still have a pair of large Karrimor panniers and that would have made for a fast and steady combo. But oh no, not I, I've got to make it more complicated!
I decided to go cycle-camping on the Brompton ....

This is the trip: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=85375.0;topicseen
55 miles from home.

First I needed luggage and buying wasn't on the cards, so I pressed two 30 year old saddlebags into service.
At the front a Carradice Camper Longflap zip-tied to the s-frame
An old Karrimor bagon the SQR block at the rear.
Add a Topeak beam rack at the base of the seatpost and hey-presto we're ready to go!

Brompton loaded 1.JPG

Front Bag:
Large Trangia
Plastic plate
Tin cup
Spork
Scourer
Fairy liquid
Micro-towel
Bivvi bag
Tarp plus guylines, pegs and clips
Chamois
Down sleeping bag in Drybag under lid
Small universal cycling toolkit
Cafe lock
Arm-warmers and beanie hat
Sigg Meths bottle
Headtorch
Spare tube.

Brompton loaded 2.JPG

Rear Bag:
1 pair long Craghoppers
2 Teeshirts (to wear under shirt)
Northface baggy shirt
Craghoppers Fleece
2prs socks
2 pairs grundies
1 Cycle-chat signed shirt to pass on to Superleeds
1 Cycle shirt for return ride
1 Cycle-shirt for Saturday ride
1 base-layer
1 pair baggy shorts
Medication
Toiletries
I-phone charger

On beam-rack:
Vango Banshee 200 tent
Gelert inflatable airbed
Paramo Velez-lite smock waterproof in Alpkit dry-bag.

I'm umming and ahhing about shoes .... I could ride in spds and carry plimsoles/sandals/flip-flops OR just ride in my outdoor walking shoes and use them for the whole weekend. Thoughts?

Depart midday tomorrow after a long nights election viewing!

Comments on kit list?

I've done a short test ride and it handles well, amazingly neutral. I've tidied-up the loading on the beam-rack too.

robjh

Legendary Member
Is that the campsite on the A423 at Long Itchington? I rode past there yesterday, taking a slight deviation from my usual commute routes.

That is certainly charismatic packing, but the proof is that it works and carries your stuff from A to B. That sounds like enough clothes for a month's trip to me but then maybe pungent cycle clothes are less of an issue on a long solo tour than on a social weekend.

Reactions: _aD
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Is that the campsite on the A423 at Long Itchington? I rode past there yesterday, taking a slight deviation from my usual commute routes.

That is certainly charismatic packing, but the proof is that it works and carries your stuff from A to B. That sounds like enough clothes for a month's trip to me but then maybe pungent cycle clothes are less of an issue on a long solo tour than on a social weekend.
Cheers, I might reduce the clothes .... but there are no showers at the campsite so a good wash and fresh clothes seems a good idea .... I may be wrong!
The campsite is behind the Green Man pub alongside the river.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not much use now but for future trips you can fit the side frames to the beam rack
upload_2015-5-8_7-39-20.jpeg

that would enable you to fit small panniers and get the weight a bit lower

Bodhbh

Guru
Looks fun! How much does your kit weigh? (not that it matters much). Are they folding/detachable pedals?

Main problem I found with touring with only the one pair of shoes you ride with, is if/when they get wet they will really start to hum very fast. Prolly okay for a weekend.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
but there are no showers at the campsite so a good wash and fresh clothes seems a good idea .... I may be wrong!
The campsite is behind the Green Man pub alongside the river.

No showers. Alongside a river. Just think - you can spend as long in there as you want and don't have to worry about bashing your elbows on the walls of the shower.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Looks fun! How much does your kit weigh? (not that it matters much). Are they folding/detachable pedals?

Main problem I found with touring with only the one pair of shoes you ride with, is if/when they get wet they will really start to hum very fast. Prolly okay for a weekend.
No idea how much the kit weighs, but I'll check it out.
Pedals are just cheapo single sided spd types, non folding. I ended-up taking cycle shoes and a pair of sandals .... I'm growing a beard soon ....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

OK, I've geekily weighed the kit!!!!!

The front bag + frame (contents as listed) = 6.7kg
Rear bag (contents as listed) = 4.9kg
Beam rack plus tent + sleeping mat = 3.9kg

Seems quite a lot!

Top Bottom