Brooks C17

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have 3 👍 I find them comfy, but as usual with saddles they won't suit everyone. I am a big fan of the B17, but only if you are in a more upright position, on a road bike they are not as comfy, but the C17 is. The last one I got was the carved (ie with a cut out) & think it is slightly more comfortable than the others. I'm keeping my eye for another one at the right price, so if you buy one & don't like it :okay:

OP
OP
olivertomberry

olivertomberry

Is it pretty durable? Seen quite a few pics where the fabric seems to be wearing off around the edges/rivets...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've seen some on ebay that look rather tatty, but mine are ok. The first one I got was a natural colour, not sure how long I've had it, probably 2-3 years & reckon its done well over 5k miles. No worn fabric, but with it being a light colour it does look like it could do with a good clean 🤔. The 2nd one was bought in April last year, 2nd hand from a CCer. This one is slate gray & have it on my turbo bike so it's never been used outdoors, probably done 6k zwift miles & looks fine. My latest one is black, was bought in December, covered 1k miles in dry weather & is still in mint condition. I'd certainly buy another if I need a new saddle :okay:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have had my Brooks B67S for 3 years and it still looks as good as new. I a slap a bit of profide on it once a year and it's good to go. As with everything, what suits one person won't suit another. They seem to be a bit like marmite, you either love them or hate them. If you have a Brooks bum you will love it. If not you have someone above who is willing to buy it from you. :laugh:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Update on my previous posts. I now have 4, within the last month I've bought another C17 carved for the best bike. But in the last week I've noticed that my original C17 natural, which is about a week short of 3 years old has developed a crack in the side, its about 100mm from the nose on the left hand side :sad: Might try & glue something on the back to hold it together, but reckon it will need replacing sooner or later. The natural colour suits the Ti & just had new natural cork bar tape fitted to match, so don't know whether to buy another C17 natural or go for the carved which does seem to offer a touch more comfort for me, but haven't seen a natural C17 carved 🤔

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've had a B17 honey for about ten years, I'll be honest, I wasn't massively keen initially (but it was a present from a loved one so I had to persevere). I didn't do a great deal of miles on it for a long time, It was on my town / pootler and I was too busy riding road bikes with different racing saddles and think that was my mistake, I didn't really give it a good chance to get acquainted with my bum.
It eventually became more used and it (and I) benefitted from that, it's now my default saddle on my default bike (tourer) and is fabulous for long days. If you're going to buy a Brooks, do ride it, it just gets better with more miles in it.
It's not honey any more by the way, more a deep tan, but that's just what using the saddle and treating the leather does.

20200804_223734.jpg

Comfortable? Yes, after a while.
Durable? Certainly.

I'm currently thinking of getting another for one of my other bikes, if that helps.

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The B17 & C17 are two totally different saddles :okay: The B17 is leather & moulds to your backside over time & needs a little more tlc, whilst the C17 in question comes in various guises, but is made from rubber & doesn't need any special care (apparently) 👍
From my experience the B17 is more suited to a slightly more upright riding position, whilst the C17 does seem to suit road bikes a little better, but other riders may have different views :blush:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Oh durrr... we're talking C17 aren't we? Disregard my last, I'm an idiot. I've not had one of the rubber ones I'm afraid.

John_S

Über Member
Hi olivertomberry,

I have a carved C17 and I find it very comfortable but saddles are so personal what's right for somebody isn't necessarily right for somebody else and so unfortunately you'd have to figure out whether it's right for you but I'm very happy with mine.

I have the carved C17 and I'd buy another one for a different bike if I could but I don't think that Brooks make the standard C17 carved anymore which is a big disappointment to me! I think that the only carved C17 that they do now is the all weather version and just for me personally I'm not a fan of the look of the all weather version in all black but it may work for other people because looks at all in the eye of the beholder. For me I prefer the standard versions of the cambium saddles with the silver (not black as on the all weather) metal rails.

In terms of durability I've had mine for 3-4 years and touch wood so far I've had no problems.

Good luck picking the right saddle for you!

John

Top Bottom