Brooks Cambium Saddles.. thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Looks too narrow for me and in reality is a modern saddle.
I prefer a wider saddle like a turbo or rolls or b17.

Baldy

Über Member
I tried a Brooks Cambium saddle, like sitting on an oak block. No give at all.

Tenkaykev

Guru
My bum really likes the C17, fitted them on my Brommies. Tried really hard to get on with the B17 but ended up selling it.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I've a couple of C17s for winter use, to save wear on Berthoud leather saddles.

Find the C17 comfortable, compared to what I think are the best I've ever ridden.

One thing to watch is the wear on bib shorts. When new, I found the canvas along the edge of the saddle wore a hole through my shorts. Brooks didn't agree, despite that being a quite well-documented "fault" (that I hadn't read about until too late).

(Edit, mine are the wider ones, I think)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
While the Fizik saddle on the Brompton is useable and light (IIRC 230g), I'm not hugely impressed as it feels a bit cheap, and not amazingly comfortable as the padding seems a bit less resileant than I'm used to.

I'm tempted to indulge in some faux-patriotic badge-tartery with a Brooks Cambium (prob. a C17) as they seem to be available for reasonable money used if you bide your time.

I've never really been sold on Brooks stuff however - part of me thinks it's overpriced and fashion-led, while I wasn't very impressed by the Flyer I had on the Fuji for a while.

What to the CC massive think of the Cambium? It looks nice on paper, although is heavy (464g, apparently) and at £100+ new I wonder how much better (if any) it is in terms of comfort and functionality over a £25 Velo alternative..

I'd also considered the Swift but am a bit skeptical of the leather and all the hide offerings from Brooks seem to have really short, rear-biased rails meaning I can't get the layback I need.

Ta :smile:

Can’t help with the C17, but the Swift on the Brompton will probably be horrible. I had on on my road bike ( the stolen one) and it was fab, I put another on my hybrid and it was bloody awful, probably something to do with the different riding position.

Get a B17 you won’t regret it, if you do you’ll get most of your money back if you sell it.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Mrs Tenkaykev has fitted Selle SMP saddles to her brommies, it's the same as what she had fitted on her touring bike and she finds the saddle supremely comfortable.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Does anyone know if those triangular bag-strap holes in the Brooks Cambium…

y-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fencrypted-tbn0.gstatic.jpg

…will take the fixing tags on the Carradice saddlebag rack?
img_4115-300x300.jpg

Personal experience especially welcome.
Thanks for comments and opinions.:okay:

GuyBoden

Guru
Off topic a bit, I bought a Brooks copy a couple of years ago - a Spa Nidd. It cost under £40 at the time; the rails have a longer parallel section so it's much more adjustable. It weighs a ton and was hard as granite.

This week I've started experimenting with ways of softening it. I soaked the rear half in water for ten minutes, put it on the bike and rode 10 miles. Dried it out and proofided it. There's a definite improvement- it only feels like limestone now.

Interestingly, I have a Spa Calder, it's the embossed version of the Nidd.

Yes, it's hard, but I've rode all day on the saddle many, many times, it's the comfiest saddle I've found yet. :okay:

Jameshow

Veteran
Interestingly, I have a Spa Calder, it's the embossed version of the Nidd.

Yes, it's hard, but I've rode all day on the saddle many, many times, it's the comfiest saddle I've found yet. :okay:

I have one rode lejog on it still rock hard....
My brooks is much more comfy!

Have them on all four 'proper' bikes.
Narrow on the Stayer all road and the Ridley Helium,wider on the Stayer OG and All-City.

Finally found a saddle after trying various saddles (Fizik,Fabric,San Marco + others) plus trying different widths on different bikes.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I quite like my Cambium, it’s well shaped for an upright posture on the folder, seems reasonably durable and looks ok. But, it’s not the same as the leather ones I ride 90% of the time and I’d not want to do long distances on it. Better to compare with other synthetic saddles than other Brooks saddles IMO.

The thing that put me off Cambium saddles is the fact that Brooks guarantees their leather saddles for ten years, but only offers two for the rubber saddles. Not a great endorsement.

Top Bottom