Brooks Cambium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Has anyone had any dealings with the Brooks Cambium, just wondered what they are like????? where can i try one without buying one first

RedRider

Pulling through
Has anyone had any dealings with the Brooks Cambium, just wondered what they are like????? where can i try one without buying one first
Yes I have a C15. Any brooks dealer should have test Cambiums which you can try. I rode my test saddle for more than a week before buying which was pretty generous of the shop I thought. I find it comfortable to the extent I've ridden without padding for 40 miles without discomfort and it looks good imo.
Unfortunately, one year on the rubber has split where it attaches to the frame at the nose. It was ridden a lot to be fair. I understand this is a known problem and for that reason the shop and then brooks agreed to swap/ credit for a different type of saddle/ refund with no fuss whatsoever. After some umms and ahs I've decided to go for another cambium.
I note that brooks saddles have a two-year warranty but this can be converted to 10 if you register it on their website after purchase.
Although a known problem I've spoken to others who've ridden for 2-3 years without issue.
The cloth covering polishes to a shine after a while and when new I didn't find ithe ate through lycra or anything.
It's a relatively heavy thing but no big deal to me.
The rails are fairly long compared to other brooks saddles I've seen which is a good thing if you need to push it back.
Any questions let me know.

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Tried a C17 for a while, almost sort of comfortable but in the end it remained too hard because it doesn't deform into 'sitbone' impressions.

I have a C17 and found it comfy from the first ride, which was over five hours in the saddle..

Yes, it is hard, but, it is also if not bouncy then "givey" if you see what I mean. I did a mile or so of cobbles this morning and I felt it in my hands not my rear.

I certainly prefer it to my most recent B17: adjustment is easier due to the longer rails and the textured surface means I do not slip around as much.

Last, but, because I am very shallow not least, lt looks great with my modern steel frame:becool:.

If you can get a test ride give I would recommend giving one a go.

Alan O

Über Member
I have a C17, but I've only done about 30 miles on it so far. But first impressions are good in that it felt comfy right away - and yes, "not bouncy then "givey" if you see what I mean" is a good description ^_^

Alan

rualexander

Legendary Member
Yes it is 'givey' but for me not in a localised enough way. The whole top gives, flexes, bends, etc which helps but it doesn't develop indentations to support the sitbones in the same way that a B17 or similar does. I found that the contact points with my sitbones remained too much like a ball on a flat surface rather than a ball and socket.

OP
OP
Part time cyclist

Part time cyclist

Über Member
First ride out with my new Cambium C15. 55 miles in and all seems fine..... my a!*e hurt anyways from the stock Giant Neutral contact SL: seat that came with my Defy 2 so wasn't expecting too much.... but all seems good... so thanks for all your help

ACS

Legendary Member
I have a 2x B17 and a recently purchased Cambium C17.

I've ridden about 200miles on the Cambium, the longest jaunt being about 65 miles, and found it instantly comfortable. In fact I'm so impressed with it I'm toying with the idea of replacing the B17's with Cambium's. However, the cost may be a limiting factor :-). Also I know the B17 on the Audax machine works and I doubt if I'm brave enough to take the chance. Nothing worse than being 100km from anyway with a sore.........

Top Bottom