Brooks renovation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
Long story, but I have been swapping saddles on a few bikes recently.
It left my Raleigh Competition without a saddle, so I started browsing eBay but people want too much for old tatty Brooks saddles. So I thought it may be an idea to have a go at renovating an old B15 which I picked up a few years ago as part of a Corsa Strada bike.
Saddle had a small hole and quite a few splits in the leather (wish that I had photographed it now). Nothing ventured and all that:

Stage 1, fill holes and cracks with Gorilla glue (polyurethane I think - it expands as it cures):

Stage 2, sand down with 80 grit, followed by 240:

stage 3, "Tarrago penetrating dye" Shoe repair shop for about £6, followed by boot polish, then "Harley wax - pure carnauba " to seal and hopefully prevent a black backside - seems quite effective, bo black marks on microfibre cloth when buffing up. I think that I will play it safe and use old trousers for rides for a while.

(I also drilled out the original holes a little larger to make a neater finish)

Quite pleased - gives me a bit of time to wait for the "right saddle" :smile:

edit - during cleaning I found code B65 on metal frame, so I assume that is February 1965

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
That's a nicely done job there!
I'm not sure gorilla glue was the best way to go though. It doesn't stretch, bend or move any other way so you might find those cracks opening up again.
Shoe goo might be a better 'non professional' way of doing that as it sets to a rubber like finish.
Good going all the same :smile:

OP
OP
C

carpenter

Über Member
Not heard of "shoe goo". When I looked up how to fill leather the recommendation seemed to be PVA, but I don't think it would take the dye.
Anyway, you make well be right about the Gorilla being too rigid but if it lasts for six months it will have served its purpose.

Ideally, I would like a "Rivet Diablo" in black (I have a brown one and really like it), so a bit of saving is called for.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
That's a nicely done job there!
I'm not sure gorilla glue was the best way to go though. It doesn't stretch, bend or move any other way so you might find those cracks opening up again.
Shoe goo might be a better 'non professional' way of doing that as it sets to a rubber like finish.
Good going all the same :smile:
I've never heard of Shoe Goo either. If it does the job and sets like rubber, would it be any good for mending minor cuts in tyres?

roley poley

Über Member
have used shoe good to fix a slotted Welly and build up worn down heels on posh shoes ..its like tough silicone gel there are vids on ewechewb on its uses..i shy away from using it on tyres

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice job @carpenter

That looks like a good repair job .
I've never heard of Shoe Goo either. I have used Tiger Seal in the past, it is a material which bonds windscreens in . It sets like rubber .
My repair is on hold at the moment whilst I sort out my expander bolt problem .

Chris S

Legendary Member
It left my Raleigh Competition without a saddle, so I started browsing eBay but people want too much for old tatty Brooks saddles. So I thought it may be an idea to have a go at renovating an old B15 which I picked up a few years ago as part of a Corsa Strada bike.
Saddle had a small hole and quite a few splits in the leather (wish that I had photographed it now). Nothing ventured and all that:

Stage 1, fill holes and cracks with Gorilla glue (polyurethane I think - it expands as it cures):
View attachment 547329

View attachment 547330

View attachment 547332

stage 3, "Tarrago penetrating dye" Shoe repair shop for about £6, followed by boot polish, then "Harley wax - pure carnauba " to seal and hopefully prevent a black backside - seems quite effective, bo black marks on microfibre cloth when buffing up. I think that I will play it safe and use old trousers for rides for a while.

View attachment 547333

View attachment 547334

edit - during cleaning I found code B65 on metal frame, so I assume that is February 1965
You've ruined the patina :smile:

funk2monk

View attachment 547329

View attachment 547330

View attachment 547332

View attachment 547333

View attachment 547334

Hi Carpenter,
That’s a very impressive finish. I have number of old saddles too which I’ve always thought still had life in them. May try and get some shoe goo and have a go too.

nonowt

Über Member
I didn't know they still made Shoe Goo. As a teenage skateboarder (in the late 80's) my trainer's were often about 20% shoe goo! I wonder if you could use it to prolong the life of old brake hoods?

Top Bottom