Brooks Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok I need a new saddle. I like the looks of the Brooks B17 Narrow but a couple of questions....

1. Are they as uncomfortable as people say to start with?
2. Do I really need Proofide? What is Proofide?
3. I'll be commuting on this, it's going to get wet, very wet, will it be ok?

I think that's about it for now.....

Ta

ASC1951

Guru
1. Mainly non-Brooks owners say this. Mine have been comfortable straight out of the box, then get better.
2. Use Proofide. Instructions come with the saddle. If you want to save £1 a year, someone will tell you you can do perfectly well with Vaseline, or chip fat, or nose scrapings...
3. I ride mine in wet weather without any problem, but I don't commute so it always gets time to dry out. In the days when everyone had leather saddles, it was common to stuff a plastic bag underneath.

yello

I have a B17 Imperial (narrow, with a cut away section)

1. It was comfortable from the off. It was a little slippery to begin with but that wore off.
2. Brooks say you need proofhide. I believe them and used it per instructions.
3. Mine has gotten wet. Very wet. Only as one offs though, and has always had time to dry naturally. Can't comment on continual drenchings.

Edit: I've just been thinking about my Brooks over a coffee. Whilst it is comfortable, it's not THAT much more comfortable than my San Marco Rolls. Perhaps time will make it more so, I don't know as it's only around 4000km old, but as things stand at the moment, I probably wouldn't pay the premium for another Brooks.

But you have to find these things out for yourself sometimes. Particularly with saddles.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks for the advice. Saddle ordered. Planning a 150 miler for next Sunday so if I've not broken it in commuting on Friday, I will that day!! :rolleyes:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have a love/hate relationship with my Brooks :wub: :angry:
It looks nice on my touring bike
but it took over 2000 miles before it felt sort of comfortable and even today it is still a pain in the arse, but can tolerate it, I have a shed load of saddles that I have tried in the past and none of them have been good, maybe it’s my arse that is wrong shape for cycling.
Now on my MTB I have this one and it is great I can ride this without padded shorts and it feels really comfortable, but some how it dosen’t work on my touring bike for some reason

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have a love/hate relationship with my Brooks :wub: :angry:
It looks nice on my touring bike
but it took over 2000 miles before it felt sort of comfortable and even today it is still a pain in the arse, but can tolerate it, I have a shed load of saddles that I have tried in the past and none of them have been good, maybe it’s my arse that is wrong shape for cycling.
Now on my MTB I have this one and it is great I can ride this without padded shorts and it feels really comfortable, but some how it dosen’t work on my touring bike for some reason

I've never really cared about my saddle to be honest, it's just kind of been there to perch on. This is the first time I've bought one as the saddle on my racer is making strange noise, think it's the rails so I thought I'd try a Brooks. I'll see how it goes.

That MTB saddle you have looks good!! :thumbsup:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have a B17 which was comfy from the outset and is now like a favourite armchair after araound 2000 miles. Use Proofhide. It is not expensive and if you have an issue with your Brooks and you have used anything else, then you can kiss goodbye to any warranty.

Mine has got wet occasionally, but left to its own devices away from heat and sunlight, it dries perfectly. Use a plastic bag over it in the wet if you want, but you can get quite a stylish proper cover for a few quid. It also helps if you have mudguards as that keeps the wet and crud from coating the underside of the saddle.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have a B17 which was comfy from the outset and is now like a favourite armchair after araound 2000 miles. Use Proofhide. It is not expensive and if you have an issue with your Brooks and you have used anything else, then you can kiss goodbye to any warranty.

Mine has got wet occasionally, but left to its own devices away from heat and sunlight, it dries perfectly. Use a plastic bag over it in the wet if you want, but you can get quite a stylish proper cover for a few quid. It also helps if you have mudguards as that keeps the wet and crud from coating the underside of the saddle.

Ok I've got my Brooks now. Fitted, been round the block on it and it seems comfy enough.

I have a huge problem though, I depend on my topeak saddle bag for carrying tubes, levers etc and it doesn't fit!!!! Help!!

Do I have to buy a Brooks specific bag??

Oh lesser problem, what do I apply proofide with? Brush, tissue, cloth??

TIA

potsy

Rambler
Nice
whistling.gif

brooks-challenge-leather-saddle-bag-708-p.jpg

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Nice
whistling.gif

[attachment=338:brooks-challenge-leather-saddle-bag-708-p.jpg]

Cheers Potsy, unfortunately that costs almost as much as the saddle which cost almost as much as the bike.. ok not really but still too much for me. Plus I like my bike to be virtually silent and the Brooks specific bags look like they just sway about under the saddle banging into stuff.

yello

As much as I like that saddle bag (and a LBS here in France has a few for sale!), I just couldn't see me using one. It's a thing of beauty but I reckon all wrong for practical use.

Canardly

Veteran
A key issue with Brookes is to get your bum bones in the hammock. It could be that you need a set back seat post.If you find yourself pushing yourself back on the seat all the time then could be so.

toekneep

My B17 was very very uncomfortable to start with, even on a twenty mile ride. But very very gradually it got better and now I never think about it. Even on a couple of 100 mile rides, my backside has never been an issue to carrying on. Now about my legs....

I do use the Proofide and I have had the saddle wet for several days at a time without any ill effect.

Top Bottom