Brooks Saddles (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Fitted a B17 std to my hybrid a while back after all the reviews on C+ & have never looked back. However today i went out on my road bike for the first time in nearly 2 months & after my 18 mile commute my @rse was in pain. The saddle in question in Alias 155 which i have not have a problem with before & done upto 80 miles in 1 stint :biggrin:
I know brooks saddles mould to your butt, but has my butt moulded to the brooks saddle after 2 months of use ? :biggrin:
Do all brooks saddles offer similar comfort levels as i dont really fancy a B17 on my road bike, i would prefer something a little more sporty ;)

B17 Narrow or a Swift. A Swallow if you've got the cash. Lovely.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
It may well be that your @rse got used to a confortable seat, that's all ;)

It also happens when you get used to seating in a comfortable car seat and then one has to drive a less comfortable car :biggrin:

I also think the B17 wouldn't look right on a road bike, however, the Team Pro looks fine and it's not as expensive as the swift.... it takes a little longer to brake in than the B17 though :biggrin:

Rick

Oppy

I have a Pro Select on my winter bike, had it 40years.
Oil it with neatsfoot oil regularly, it has moulded to my shape and although ripped around the large rivet head on one side still the most comfortable of all my saddles.
I also have a Pro and a Swift on other bikes, now 20 and 15 years old and as comfortable now.
I would say it can take up to 10,000 miles to break them in.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've always been happy with B17s from new, no breaking in required for me (but as ever in the world of saddles, we all differ). I've never tried any other kind of Brooks. What's your problem with the B17 on the road bike? Looks? I've seen plenty of road bikes with B17s and they look great to my eye.

rualexander

Legendary Member
If you haven't been on that saddle for two months, you are bound to feel it, different pressure points etc.

Well, I'd just like to wish this thread a happy eighth birthday for last Friday.

Many happy returns!

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 14.31.00.jpg

fossala

Guru
I've had a B17 narrow on my roadie, it didn't look right and TBH was a bit restrictive compared to a more usual road saddle that you can slide around on.
First person I have heard saying you CAN'T slide around on a brooks saddle. I use a team pro on a racing trike if that is any help.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
First person I have heard saying you CAN'T slide around on a brooks saddle. I use a team pro on a racing trike if that is any help.
I didn't say you couldn't, just not as readily, it's maybe the width as much the moulding effect which tends to plant you in place a tad more than the usual hard plate immutable road saddle. My B17 regular on the commuter is like slipping into a well worn pair of boots, my bum almost locks into place on it :smile:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Funnily enough I was wondering how old my B17 was :laugh: It's currently without a bike, however I've just 'won' an old 80s Raleigh on eBay that will suit the B17 once i've finished the renovations. & since this thread I have tried the B17 on a road bike, but didn't like it, I find it suits a more upright position

bonker

Guru
Be a bit cautious. I had a B17 which I loved and was comfortable for miles. Traded up to a swallow when I got a new bike, looks fantastic. Beautifully comfortable but had loads of problems with it sagging and reached the end of the adjustment bolt after a few 100 miles. I'm only 11.5 12 stone but apparently that could be the issue.
Got a new fixed so decided to go for a Swift as that is supposed to be more robust. It's still rock hard after 18 months.

Davidc

Guru
Well, I'd just like to wish this thread a happy eighth birthday for last Friday.

Many happy returns!

View attachment 98894
Saw this and looked up the receipt for my older Brooks B17...

I bought it a day before this thread was started. (It's now mainly a spare as I don't normally leave it on the utility bike).

I've always been happy with B17s from new, no breaking in required for me (but as ever in the world of saddles, we all differ). I've never tried any other kind of Brooks. What's your problem with the B17 on the road bike? Looks? I've seen plenty of road bikes with B17s and they look great to my eye.

You're not the only one. The only time I had to "break one in" was when it came already used on a second hand bike.

Top Bottom