Brooks saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Moved to the Bikes and Accessories forum by the admin team.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I had a look at a brooks on a pashley in a bike shop yesterday. It had the look and feel of cheap plastic, i take it they don't stay like that?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I had a look at a brooks on a pashley in a bike shop yesterday. It had the look and feel of cheap plastic, i take it they don't stay like that?

"Cheap plastic"?!?!?! I presume you think that high-quality woollen suits have the look and feel of polyester?

chrisgw3

I have a B17 which I bought in the early to mid 90s and did several thousand miles on club runs up until 7 or 8 years ago. It was supremely comfortable.

However, last year after 7 or 8 years of non-use I put it on our tandem for our 2 week jaunt down to the Loire. I couldn't believe how uncomfortable it was and after an hour in the saddle was longing for a break.

Why should this be? It has been kept in the dry and I'm pretty much the same weight and shape as before. I have been cycling more on "racing" saddles recently (spoon, selle italia) so maybe I'm now more used to them. It looks ok but perhaps it has sagged? Is it because it's pretty much impossible to get out of the saddle for a rest when on a tandem? 

I'm thinking of swapping it with a racing saddle for our tandem tour this year.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Plenty. It's worth covering if you leave it out in the pouring rain overnight, but that's it. You don't (I assume) put plastic bags over your leather shoes when it starts raining, do you?!

Agree they take a lot of abuse. My first B17 only lasted 25 years...
IMO, they're the dogs danglies.

OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

No not at all, thats why i was surprised when i actually saw one in he flesh for the first time

New saddle arrived at it looks the bomb!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I got mine, a "Brooks Competition" of my little brother's Carlton. He never used the bike so I swapped a cheap leather saddle I didn't like for his Brooks. He still doesn't know to this day. He thought his saddle always was like that as he only got his bike back from my dads about 15 years after stopping using it. He put kiddy seat on the back to take his son out. He's stopped riding again so he'll never know now.
I've had the saddle now since 1985 (ish) and it's still comfortable and in decent nick. Proofide it once a year and polish it up after riding any distance. It must add a few pound to weight of bike but it fits my derriere so it's mine now. He doesn't know about cyclechat and even if he did he'd not recognise my name on here so shhhhh!! :angel: :becool:

OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

I got mine, a "Brooks Competition" of my little brother's Carlton. He never used the bike so I swapped a cheap leather saddle I didn't like for his Brooks. He still doesn't know to this day. He thought his saddle always was like that as he only got his bike back from my dads about 15 years after stopping using it. He put kiddy seat on the back to take his son out. He's stopped riding again so he'll never know now.
I've had the saddle now since 1985 (ish) and it's still comfortable and in decent nick. Proofide it once a year and polish it up after riding any distance. It must add a few pound to weight of bike but it fits my derriere so it's mine now. He doesn't know about cyclechat and even if he did he'd not recognise my name on here so shhhhh!! :angel: :becool:

cheeky cheeky!

Top Bottom