Brooks Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I always admire Brooks users. I tried one for a couple of weeks some time ago, when I was considerably lighter! I just could not get comfortable. Yes I know a 1000 miles would have put it right by why suffer for many hours?
I then bought a Specialized Body Geometry Saddle, and three weeks later 3 more for my other bikes. Comfortable from day one, once adjusted, and still comfortable six years on.

Keith Oates

Janner
<They are gorgeous looking things but I've been thinking about this crazy contraption recommended on 'bike forums'.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...pFNJong4ikkvbA>

Never used one of those but i don't like the look of it for a start, so it won't be on my shopping list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U

User482

byegad said:
I always admire Brooks users. I tried one for a couple of weeks some time ago, when I was considerably lighter! I just could not get comfortable. Yes I know a 1000 miles would have put it right by why suffer for many hours?
I then bought a Specialized Body Geometry Saddle, and three weeks later 3 more for my other bikes. Comfortable from day one, once adjusted, and still comfortable six years on.

Just goes to show how personal saddles are - the Specialized BG I fitted for touring left me in unbearable agony.

Tony

I have three, one Champ Pro B17 on the Galaxy, a B17N on the Sardar and a honey B17 on the road bike. I have never, ever had a bum problem from them.

CycleTourer

Veteran
Just a vote for the sprung Brooks saddles, I've had the Brooks Conquest for the last couple of years. Yes it did take a while to break in like a pair of leather walking boots but it is definitely the most comfortable saddle I've used.

It is basically as I can tell the B17 but with the added comfort of the springs. They may look a tad old fashioned and may be a bit heavy, but the sprung saddle was a great relief on the gravel washboard roads of Iceland.;)

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I have the Team Pro on my road bike and the Champion on the MTB. The Team Pro took about 500 miles to brake in but it was worthy :smile: and the Champion was nearly there out of the box. I have a theory about them - if you ride fast go for the Team pro otherwise the champion which is the same as the B17 but better finished.

Rick

OP
OP
sadjack

sadjack

Thanks everyone. Much food for thought. I've just bought a Super Galaxy and I gotta say I'm not overly impressed with the saddle!! I fancy one of those big armchair Brooks with the springs....must be a sign of age.

simoncc

What is so good about Brooks saddles? I've got one on one of my bikes and I'm perfectly pleased with it, but I'm perfectly pleased with the non-Brooks saddles on my 5 other bikes. I can't tell the difference between one saddle and another really, and have never dreamed of changing a saddle that came fitted on a new bike.

Chris James

Über Member
simoncc said:
What is so good about Brooks saddles? I've got one on one of my bikes and I'm perfectly pleased with it, but I'm perfectly pleased with the non-Brooks saddles on my 5 other bikes. I can't tell the difference between one saddle and another really, and have never dreamed of changing a saddle that came fitted on a new bike.

Lucky you. Perhaps they are aimed at people like me who found that their last two bikes came with unrideable saddles (one very hard and no shaped to fit me well, hugely uncomfortable, the other very soft and sweaty) so much so that all the time I was riding I was thinking about my arse or my nuts.

I stuck a B17N on both of the bikes and no longer ever even think about my saddles.

I dare say other saddles are also good but many are not. I certainly get on well with Brooks so wouldn't change.

simoncc said:

You really can't tell the difference? I'm slightly surprised but not entirely as up until my recent squishy saddle experience I too had never changed the saddle on a bike but now I've started down the road I fear my bum is becoming attuned to saddle comfort nuances: Somebody warned me this would happen - pre and post saddle dissonance.

First Brooks bought before Xmas, B17N, so far so good, still adjusting it's shape to my posterior but I don't find it uncomfortable, neutral at the mo.

simoncc

Crackle said:
You really can't tell the difference? I'm slightly surprised but not entirely as up until my recent squishy saddle experience I too had never changed the saddle on a bike but now I've started down the road I fear my bum is becoming attuned to saddle comfort nuances: Somebody warned me this would happen - pre and post saddle dissonance.

First Brooks bought before Xmas, B17N, so far so good, still adjusting it's shape to my posterior but I don't find it uncomfortable, neutral at the mo.

I just can't tell the difference between the comfort levels of saddles on my bikes. The Brookes, which I've had for 21 years now, was very smooth and hard to start with until it moulded to my shape, but modern saddles seem comfortable from the start to me. I think Brookes saddles are now just one of many good quality bike saddles available these days.

Top Bottom