Brown Chain ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi all,

Just finished my weekly once over on the bike and the chain was really covered in crap this week.

Got the chain cleaner and toothbrush out and went over it with degreaser. Its got all the crap off but the outside of the links are slightly rusting, nothing major but its not shiny silver like new.

12 links is 12" so no stretch etc, it has done about 1500 miles with this in mind do you think I should replace it I dont get any problems with slippage etc just its slightly brown.

what do you think ?.

raindog

er.....
Leave it on. Not enough brown chains around imo.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
Thanks for the replies everyone ill leave it on for now then unless it starts the make a right noise.

ASC1951

Guru
bad boy said:
went over it with degreaser. Its got all the crap off but the outside of the links are slightly rusting
The two are connected.

I never degrease my chains. Just wipe clean and light oil as per the Mickle method. They aren't very shiny, but they don't go brown either; and I get 3,500 miles out of them.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
The two are connected.

I never degrease my chains. Just wipe clean and light oil as per the Mickle method. They aren't very shiny, but they don't go brown either; and I get 3,500 miles out of them.

for stubborn dirt how do you simply wipe clean ?.

Are you saying therefore that by using a chain tool with degreaser its rusting my chain ?.

I do regularly maintain my bike but cant every day last week was really bad i cant see how wiping it wold have sufficed it was caked on quite badly.

Thanks.

Davidc

Guru
All very well saying you don't degrease the chain, ASC1951, but when they get really foul it's difficult to get the cr@p off without doing so. I'd agree though that it's something only to do when the dirt is extreme.

After this winter, and all the rock salt that's been on the road, the chain and other transmission components on my bikes will be off for a really thorough degreasing and cleaning to make sure there's no salt or grit left to grind them away. If there's a tiny bit of surface rust I won't worry about it, just put waterproof lubricant on those bits.

If the chain is put back on straight away after a degrease and clean, and is well lubricated with a dry lubricant there isn't much rust, and any which forms soon cmes off.

The transmission on my last (not quite a BSO) bike had done over 4000 miles when I sold it and was still unstretched and working fine, despite being degreased and cleaned three times, and being low quality in the first place. That stuff did get a lot of surface rust though.

ASC1951

Guru
Davidc said:
All very well saying you don't degrease the chain, ASC1951, but when they get really foul it's difficult to get the cr@p off without doing so. I'd agree though that it's something only to do when the dirt is extreme.
There are threads about this on here every couple of months.

The point is that degreasing your chain strips the lubrication out of the inside and oiling it doesn't get it back in. Not unless you do the full 'chain in a hot tin' like with motorbikes. That's a lot of work.

My attitude is that keeping the original grease inside the chain is much more important than keeping the outside looking nice. I don't see why yours gets "really foul". All I do after a winter ride is run it through an oiled rag at the end of a ride, still on the bike, then maybe the same the next morning when it has dried. I only ever take the chain off to replace it.

Regular deep-cleaning and re-greasing of bike chains is one of those circular routines. By all means do it if you enjoy the work, but it's completely unnecessary if you never start the routine.

ASC1951

Guru
bad boy said:
the mickle method will be my preferred way from now on
A forum search will find the details for you.

Look, if you're one of those people who actually enjoys spending hours on their drive train, go for the degrease-and-full-fettle. I don't.

Another Top Tip (not mine, either) is that one of the very best things for cleaning the rest of your bike is Own Brand Babywipes. Morries do them for about 100 for 99p, so don't go getting any poncy scented ones.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
ASC1951 I concur with everything you've said.
In the winter I use thick n' lovely Finish-line green and leave plenty on, baby wipes and quick mickle method keeps stuff running sweetly. I'm not too worried about the cosmetics at this time of year.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
A forum search will find the details for you.

Look, if you're one of those people who actually enjoys spending hours on their drive train, go for the degrease-and-full-fettle. I don't.

Another Top Tip (not mine, either) is that one of the very best things for cleaning the rest of your bike is Own Brand Babywipes. Morries do them for about 100 for 99p, so don't go getting any poncy scented ones.

Yes I read the info on it I found after a google and to be honest thats exactly how I used to clean my chain before I bought the chain cleaner thingy which I just thought is something I should have ready for the winter.

I do use baby wipes on everything else and yes they are brill.

Davidc

Guru
Not sure about a hot tin, but I do leave the chain lying in dry lube in an old duraglit tin overnight fter it gets the full degrease and clean.

I only usually do that when and if it's got caked in the lovely mixture of cow excrement and clay that covers the roads in some weathers. It doesn't come off and forms a vile covering when combined with oil.

It doesn't come off properly with any wiping method I've tried, so how does anyone propose to deal with it without removing and completely cleaning it? If theres a satisfactory way I'd love to use it!

Top Bottom