Bruise/Haematoma Treatment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
I came off on Saturday. My left hip taking the brunt of it (as well as a few sq inches of skin on my arm)
Anyway, the resulting bruise has been growing and is now over 2 sq ft! and spreading to the groin - and associated private bits
ohmy.gif
. Doesn't hurt so much, just feels weird, although the hip itself is still sore.

Just come back from the GP who said it's one of the worst haematoma's he's seen, even from when he worked in A&E - which really put my mind at ease
rolleyes.gif
. Although he said there are no fractures or artery damage and it should start to reduce in about a week. Although he wants a second opinion, and I will see the A&E doctor this afternoon.

He prescribed hot baths.

Anything else I should be doing? And what timescale am I look for until I can start scalping grannies on shopping bikes again
wink.gif

shrew

sounds to me like youll want to give it a good couple of weeks and go from there, bruises dont take so long to heal but yours being so big may take a little longer, really you should be a good sport a post a pic of it if its so pretty :smile:

as for treatment, leave it alone, Eat good food, Fruit and veg can help as your body has alot of repair work to do, there isnt alot else you can do to speed up the healing but try and keep moving, warm baths and very gentle excercise just to stop your muscles stiffening up is the best bet, basically just move regularly.

Renard

I had a similar thing a few years ago. I don't think there's anything you can do now. On victorian pharmacy last week they tried an ointment made with earth worms. Maybe that's worth trying? ;)

OP
OP
buddha

buddha

Veteran
A bit of google-ing gave doctors using leeches to drain of the old blood - I think there are some in my pond.
I don't think I'll survive a few weeks off the bike - it's been a few days now and I'm already irritable (need to MTFU)
wink.gif

Off to A&E now. Hopefully it'll be a nice young lady doctor feeling my bits, and not a crusty bald bloke as it was this morning - LOL

OP
OP
buddha

buddha

Veteran
A&E doctor, nurse : "Oh my Gawd, that's huge!" - I think they were talking about the haematoma
biggrin.gif

Thankfully, nothing is broken or fractured and I should see an improvement in a few weeks. Though they advise to just keep mobile for the time being. And cold showers, as opposed to the hot baths prescribed by my GP
icon_confused.gif

I've been using arnica gel since day one. But the nurse said it probably will have little to no effect on a haematoma of this size. Although it smells nice.

So I'm sat here now with a bag of ice over my hip and dangly bits!
cold.gif

Fiona N

Veteran
There's a nice cooling gel containing bromelian (extract of pineapples) which is routinely handed out at A&Es in Switzerland (where it's called HEPAGEL) for use with serious bruises/hematomas. I've used it - I bruise easily so even after a climbing or snowboarding weekend I tend to look scarily beaten up - but no idea whether it has any effect as it's difficult to do a controlled experiment on a single body. The fact that medics prescribe it gives me somewhat more faith in it than in the infinitely dilute arnica pills from the homeopaths.

jimboalee

Recovering from bruising is proportional to fitness.

Better circulation = quicker tissue repair.

Of course you could go for Electromagnetic Pulsed wave therapy. You'll be back on your bike within the week.

Better still, find someone who has a 'cell regenerator'. You'll be back on your bike this afternoon.

ventoux50

Recovering from bruising is proportional to fitness.

Better circulation = quicker tissue repair.

Of course you could go for Electromagnetic Pulsed wave therapy. You'll be back on your bike within the week.

Better still, find someone who has a 'cell regenerator'. You'll be back on your bike this afternoon.

However, bruising occurs as a result of microtrauma to blood vessels - capillaries primarily - introducing any sort of heat opens the capillaries ( think about how you have a 'hot flush' - your cheeks go red when you're hot)
so if you try to treat bruising / haematoma with a HOT BATH (bad GP :angry: ) or with any kind of electrotherapy which has a tissue warming effect (Electromagnetic pulsed wave) then you run the risk of dilating the capillaries and encouraging additional interstitial bleeding.........

The advice offered elsewhere - Arnica cream liberally applied, and cold showers/baths, and the application of ice packs is the best course of action. Gentle stretching and preserving normal movement patterns should be the aim until the bruising starts to subside.

jimboalee

However, bruising occurs as a result of microtrauma to blood vessels - capillaries primarily - introducing any sort of heat opens the capillaries ( think about how you have a 'hot flush' - your cheeks go red when you're hot)
so if you try to treat bruising / haematoma with a HOT BATH (bad GP :angry: ) or with any kind of electrotherapy which has a tissue warming effect (Electromagnetic pulsed wave) then you run the risk of dilating the capillaries and encouraging additional interstitial bleeding.........

The advice offered elsewhere - Arnica cream liberally applied, and cold showers/baths, and the application of ice packs is the best course of action. Gentle stretching and preserving normal movement patterns should be the aim until the bruising starts to subside.

Believe what you will. Bruising heals itself. Unless you are a complete degenerate.

Top Bottom