Bruyneel, Popovych, Kloden, et al must stay say Astana!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

From Cycling Weekly comment

Meanwhile, the Kazakhs say that team manager Johan Bruyneel must also stay. Bruyneel said in Paris today there was absolutely no chance of that happening.

and

Oh, and they've pointed out that four of the riders that had announced they were heading to Team Shack would not be going anywhere either. Astana expects Andreas Klöden, Yaroslav Popovych (who had originally been given the all-clear to go), Haimar Zubeldia and Gregory Rast to be riding for them, not Team Shack, in 2010.

I like the mention of a 'double standard' too. Basically, if the above can go to Team Shack then, equally, Contador should be free to leave.

But if Team Shack frees their Astana riders the precedent will be set and Contador will be able to leave too. If everyone is forced to stay where they are, Contador's team-mates will be the men Armstrong and Bruyneel had cherrypicked for their own team and the gaps in Team Shack at such a late stage in the year will be huge. It doesn't get much more juicier than that.

My, isn't it fun! How are UCI going to handle this one?

livestrong10_02

OP
OP
Y

yello

So, with the exception of Zubeldia, they've all been able to negotiate their release from Astana. (So much for the CW comment perhaps! Or maybe Astana are blusterers!)

I wonder how to read this re Contador? Astana building a team around him (and Vino?), Contador being able to say who goes and who stays (as hinted at in the article?)... is he happy to stay put himself then??

Will1985

Über Member
Well that is one thing sorted. One wonders why Contador has failed to get himself out of the contract when the rest of the Westerners have succeeded. If Vinokourov persists in riding next year and wants a Tour spot, won't that effectively mean a non-invite?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Will1985 said:
One wonders why Contador has failed to get himself out of the contract when the rest of the Westerners have succeeded.

Odd isn't it. Obviously, Astana had to give the say so for the others to go, maybe it's as simple as they wouldn't say 'yes' to Contador. But maybe there's something deeper.

Maybe they've been able to give Contador what he wants. With LA etc out of the picture, Astana would have been instantly a better place for Contador. Maybe that's enough for him?? Can't see it myself, not with Vino being there, it's frying pan to fire.

Or how about this for size? Astana had reportedly got money worries again, SO TeamShack/LA offer a nice tidy sum to buy out the contracts they want and so leave Contador isolated in a now liquid team. Astana are now able to satisfy UCI that they are in funds again and so get their pro-licence, one avenue for Contador's exit is closed. TeamShack get who they want AND nullify the major competitor in one deal! Genius!! ;)

maurice

yello said:
Or how about this for size? Astana had reportedly got money worries again, SO TeamShack/LA offer a nice tidy sum to buy out the contracts they want and so leave Contador isolated in a now liquid team. Astana are now able to satisfy UCI that they are in funds again and so get their pro-licence, one avenue for Contador's exit is closed. TeamShack get who they want AND nullify the major competitor in one deal! Genius!! ;)

I wouldn't fancy him in a game of chess :ohmy:

yello said:

Cor Yello! You should go work for team Shack, what a wheeze.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have a hunch that Bertie will break free of his chains somehow. If he doesn't it will make Armstrong's job a mite easier next year.

Top Bottom