BSA bottom bracket tool.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Where can I buy a cheap one from?
How do you know when you’ve torqued the threads up enough?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Do you mean a tool to remove and replace the fixed cup? Most people have to put the flats in a vise and then turn the frame. If you're lucky you can put a bolt through the outside of the cup and then put a nut on the end. The cup has a left-hand thread and will unscrew when you 'tighten' the bolt.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just a normal 20 spline tool and decent sized spanner. @Chris S has obliquely pointed out that the drive side will have a left-hand (ie opposite to normal) thread.
Because there is not much interface between splines and the grooves, I suggest a 'cheap' tool is not a good shout: quite often a lot of moment is needed to start the unscrew.
How much torque to tighten in? 14" spanner, making sure the tool keeps engaged, and decently tight.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
The tool is sometimes a wrench and sometimes a cup that slots over. I mean you could use a pair of mole grips with some cloth protecting around but it’s a bit of a cowboy way risking damage.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Think you need to specify what type of BB you are installing or removing. Cartridge eg UN-55 or 300? or cup and cone and removable spindle? Tool(s) vary(ies) even though the thread is BSA.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Think you need to specify what type of BB you are installing or removing. Cartridge eg UN-55 or 300? or cup and cone and removable spindle? Tool(s) vary(ies) even though the thread is BSA.
It’s this I need but look at the daft price.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-p...wOGSZIjHFIy97PMLGvRoCgK4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’ve bought this & want to fit it. How tight should I do it? Oh just until it stops is fine. I’ve ordered a nice wrench from Jeff Bezos. Will lithium grease be ok to put on the threads?
Shimano BB-R60 Ultegra 6800 Bottom Bracket

this one looks a really good buy.
https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-...43cXhdxML4NyQIypl3gGANzlpJ0cU77RoCjxgQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Last edited:
Top Bottom