BSO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Neil puts forward a convincing arguement against bsos.
If we accept the worthlessness of bsos then assuming a minimum price associated with the production , marketing etc etc of a non bso spec product - what price is the cheapest non bso adult bike available.
I have previously on another topic suggested the Muddyfox Hornet 26 inch Mountain Bike for £79.99 only to have it universally slated as a cheap and nasty bso.

So what price a non bso adult bike.
In effect, in the combined wisdom of this forums glitterati what is the minimum you need to spend to buy acceptable hardware , ignoring for the sake of argument buying 2nd hand.

I would say something like this
. It is classed as a leisure MTB and states clearly it is not suited to rough terrain. It does what it says on the tin.

abo

For me anything from Tesco's, Asda, Toys R Us and a catalogue company is a BSO.

Would you believe Argos sell a £1000 bike?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Would you believe Argos sell a £1000 bike?

To quantify when I stated catalogue company I meant Littlewoods, Next etc rather than Argos.

My first bike was from Littlewoods, less than 60 quid if I recall. Nothing but hassle from day 1

apollo179

I would say something like this
. It is classed as a leisure MTB and states clearly it is not suited to rough terrain. It does what it says on the tin.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Looks a safe bet (nice bike)
£100
So anyone with a sub £100 budget has a problem.
Newbies will probably be (understandably) disinclined to buy 2nd hand.
What do we suggest for anyone with a sub £100 budget , who is inclined to buy new , shops at tescos and is only going to use it for the occasional trip down to the library or down the pub.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thanks for the suggestion.
Looks a safe bet (nice bike)
£100
So anyone with a sub £100 budget has a problem.
Newbies will probably be (understandably) disinclined to buy 2nd hand.
What do we suggest for anyone with a sub £100 budget , who is inclined to buy new , shops at tescos and is only going to use it for the occasional trip down to the library or down the pub.

Sub £100 budget - Real world answer. Save up if not prepared to go second hand. Nothing good will come of spending less than that on a "bike".

Edit I know the bike I chose was £99.99p !!!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
To be fair to Decathalon for those on a budget the range of bikes they have are good value for money.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
[QUOTE 1442386"]
41 pages???

Sub £99.99 you're not going to get any decent bike, and I think it's fair to call these BSOs.

Above that price you'll still find them, but they'll be mixed up with bikes from Decathlon and Carrera so you have to be careful.

There's nothing snobby about the term, it's just appropriate disdain for the stores that rip off the ignorant with soft-metal junk.
[/quote]

:thumbsup:

NeilEB

It might be useful to list some....erm...reputable? bikes at various price levels.

For example:
Sub-£100: steer clear
£100-£150: Decathalon, Carerra etc

That sort of thing?

(NB: I'm not stating this is the case, I'm a newbie and know nothing about bikes, just what I've picked up from 41 pages of this thread....)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It might be useful to list some....erm...reputable? bikes at various price levels.

For example:

That sort of thing?

(NB: I'm not stating this is the case, I'm a newbie and know nothing about bikes, just what I've picked up from 41 pages of this thread....)

That is a good idea for a sticky - Admin what do you think?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

For example:

That sort of thing?

Blimey.. some one get this man a beer....

Top Bottom