BSO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
You are labouring the point and you aren't listening. You've had an experience you didn't like on another forum so you've came on here and gone on the attack about it. It is beginning to look suspiciously like a troll.

BSO is a loaded term. It will mean different things to different people. So do many other words that we use regularly. The problem isn't with the term, but with the value we imbue it with.

I quite agree it is a loaded term and I do apologise if it comes across as trolling I assure you that is not my intent. Its just that this is a friendly and helpful forum and I wished to point out bso is a less than friendly and helpful term. There must be a better one that is less ambiguous and describes the bikes we mean better.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
BSO is much better than A Crap Bike or worthless piece of shoot. The term is understood and accepted by 99.9% of members so I would suggest living with it.
I quite agree it is a loaded term and I do apologise if it comes across as trolling I assure you that is not my intent. Its just that this is a friendly and helpful forum and I wished to point out bso is a less than friendly and helpful term.

Nebulous

Guru
I quite agree it is a loaded term and I do apologise if it comes across as trolling I assure you that is not my intent. Its just that this is a friendly and helpful forum and I wished to point out bso is a less than friendly and helpful term. There must be a better one that is less ambiguous and describes the bikes we mean better.

Well I don't cope very well with people telling me what language I should or shouldn't use. I often found myself in conflict at school (many years ago) with teachers who tried to tell me what to think and how to describe it.

I work in an arena where values are very important, and I have seen people who are sound caring people mocked and ridiculed because their language isn't PC although their values are good. Some people mix up the values with how they are expressed, and assume thoughts and words are one and the same thing. They aren't.

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
Across the board there are lots of different personal taste's in bikes - nobody is saying that one particular version of a bike is the perfect one. We use terms such as BSO which does mean different things to each of us - but it is a short word to give a quick impression. Have you a suggestion for an alternative word/expression that would offend you less but still having the same general meaning? Because there are bikes out there that deserve to be put in the dump or better still recycled.

I have also been in a LBS when a bike that I would class as a BSO was brought in and they refused to service it - saying it wasn't worth spending lots of money on which they explained politely to the customer.

My suggestion is a change to the definition in the sticky perhaps BSO bike shaped object a dangerous cheap bike not fit for purpose

Bicycle

(thinks while strolling away whimsically with hands behind back, whistling to lend an air of innocence)

I still think there's a whiff of snobbery or imagined intellectual superiority about the phrase.

:whistle:

Jezston

Über Member
(thinks while strolling away whimsically with hands behind back, whistling to lend an air of innocence)

I still think there's a whiff of snobbery or imagined intellectual superiority about the phrase.

:whistle:

I think there's a whiff of snobbery or imagined intellectual superiority about your behaviour on this thread.

Many people have taken the time to explain the meaning of the term but for whatever reason you will not accept it as valid. Do you ride a BSO per chance?

Way back in the mists of time (yesterday) he mentioned that he has only DRIVEN bike shaped objects from Argos and the like.

DRIVEN ?

Even a motorcyclist troll would say ridden.

I suggest we get back to important discussions such as the merits of helmet use :whistle:

Someone lock this thread

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
My suggestion is a change to the definition in the sticky perhaps BSO bike shaped object a dangerous cheap bike not fit for purpose

My suggestion is that you accept the term BSO for what the majority of the rest accept it is.

ie

shoot heavy bike with components made of cheese sold in the likes of Asda, Tesco, Littlewoods and a certain couple of brands at Halfords

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Very true - I think we should agree :troll: alert :smile:
Way back in the mists of time (yesterday) he mentioned that he has only DRIVEN bike shaped objects from Argos and the like.

DRIVEN ?

Even a motorcyclist troll would say ridden.

I suggest we get back to important discussions such as the merits of helmet use :whistle:

Someone lock this thread

Top Bottom