BSO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad at urage

But do users of top of the range helmets view helmets from Tesco's as HSOs?
Surely all helmets are HSOs? They are objects and shaped like helmets :rolleyes: .

Bicycle

I think there's a whiff of snobbery or imagined intellectual superiority about your behaviour on this thread.

Ouch!

First charge: I pleaded guilty in an earlier posting on this topic, quoted below.

"When at home I ride (as do my wife and children) lovely Campag-equipped whizzers dripping with the casual snobbery of the enthusiast."

If you're looking for a confession, I think that might be it. Not all bicycle snobs are so quick to confess.

Second charge: You may well be right. I hope I haven't ever made personal comments on this forum about other posters. I'm pretty sure I haven't.

I might let this topic go now. Still whistling, but now whilst trying to stifle a giggle.

:whistle:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm disappointed that you think it is funny ... for me BSO's make me angry because shops are even allowed to sell them in the first place. It isn't the fault of the person who buys them whether due to funds or lack of knowledge.

If you buy a BSO knowing it is one and prepared to try and use your skill to maintain/improve it that is fine ... but bicycles should be fit for the purpose without having to upgrade/replace components to make them work - as many of the people who do buy them don't have that knowledge/skill.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I agree. To my knowledge cars have to meet a minimum criteria before being allowed to be sold in this country. I wish it was the same for bikes.
I'm disappointed that you think it is funny ... for me BSO's make me angry because shops are even allowed to sell them in the first place. It isn't the fault of the person who buys them whether due to funds or lack of knowledge.

If you buy a BSO knowing it is one and prepared to try and use your skill to maintain/improve it that is fine ... but bicycles should be fit for the purpose without having to upgrade/replace components to make them work - as many of the people who do buy them don't have that knowledge/skill.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
£100 can buy you a great bike second hand. Many people spend £200+ on a half decent bike, ride it a few times and then sell it for £100. I've seen loads of nearly new bikes on ebay from Giant, Trek, Specialized for £100. They are mostly the Hybrid type bikes with 700c wheels and low end Shimano components, but still far superior to the stuff knocked out by Asda etc..

Many of these BSOs appear for sale as job lots on ebay because they have been returned to the retailer as faulty and passed to wholesalers to dispose of.

This week I saw a super 1990s Raleigh Elan (one owner from new) Reynolds 501 lugged frame sell for £60

1980s Raleigh Clubman 531 tubes and forks £60

Proper bikes for no money

tyred

Legendary Member
I agree. To my knowledge cars have to meet a minimum criteria before being allowed to be sold in this country. I wish it was the same for bikes.

There must already be some sort of standard. A few of my bikes have "meets with BS ?????" type stickers so there must be a British standard which they need to meet.

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
I am going to say my last words on this subject you will be pleased to hear as I agree with most of you it's going nowhere. But first I would like to apologise to Sonofpear as my reply was rude. I am genuinely sorry I replied so rudely you didn't deserve it and I apologise unreservedly.
I am somewhat embarressed about using the term "driven" in the heat of battle I misspoke myself now as to the rest it maybe that you do not use the term bso to to be bike snobs but it certainly is used in that connection by many in the cycling community. You don't agree that it's an inexact term. I respect that view you have the right to it as I have the right to mine. I opened the question out for discussion and it has been discussed. Those of you who are offended I apologise .
This is a forum for discussing cycling matters and this discussion did fall into that purview but to be accused of trolling because I have a different view to many of you ah well. I do ride a bso its a specialized sirrus sport I have only had it a couple of months and I ride it for pleasure the Bso I use for work is a viking trekking bike It gets left out in the rain and generally abused but it gets me safely from a-b. again apologies to those who are offended I thought it started as an interesting discussion. I have ridden a bike for 40 years and no longer do long distances or ride fast but I am still a cyclist and I do not apologise for not having the money to buy high end cycles.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I would never call anything made by specialized a BSO. Would anyone else here do so?
I do ride a bso its a specialized sirrus sport

tyred

Legendary Member
£100 can buy you a great bike second hand. Many people spend £200+ on a half decent bike, ride it a few times and then sell it for £100. I've seen loads of nearly new bikes on ebay from Giant, Trek, Specialized for £100. They are mostly the Hybrid type bikes with 700c wheels and low end Shimano components, but still far superior to the stuff knocked out by Asda etc..

Many of these BSOs appear for sale as job lots on ebay because they have been returned to the retailer as faulty and passed to wholesalers to dispose of.

This week I saw a super 1990s Raleigh Elan (one owner from new) Reynolds 501 lugged frame sell for £60

1980s Raleigh Clubman 531 tubes and forks £60

Proper bikes for no money
I've just bought a prestine Peugeot Carbolite 12 speed with indexed gears for £25. It looks like a brand new bike despite being at least 20 years old, everything works and with a full re-lube and possibly replacement tyres as the originals are a bit perished, I hope to sell it on with a few quid profit. It should give someone a good few years of reliable cycling. It's pretty light and reponsive as well, more so than I was expecting.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would never call anything made by specialized a BSO. Would anyone else here do so?

I'd call them ugly in many cases (sorry to the Specialized riders, nothing wrong with the bikes at all, I just dont like the aesthetics on most of them), but not a BSO no, very good bikes.

As for the Viking, not heard much about them, seen a few around but no personal experience nor even a close up look.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
A quick search revealed this.

BS6102-1 - The standard only applies to complete bicycles at the point of sale, and you can legally remove anything that it specifies once you've wheeled the bike out of the shop. None of it applies to recumbents of course, because it's for bikes of "saddle height" 635mm or greater.

BS 6102-1 is written to ensure that bikes made to this Standard will be as safe as possible. Tests are written to make sure that the components and the bike itself are strong and will last. This does not include all bikes such as mountain bikes which obviously take a lot more stress and strain than normal bikes. They have their own standard (see below).

Specifications and tests include those for:

• frames, pedals, saddles, chains, chain guards, lighting and reflectors, brakes, instructions, wheels, tyres.
Two clauses (sections) in detail (taken from the 1992 version of BS 6102-1)
Clause 15. Lighting and reflectors:

• 15.2.1 Rear reflectors - all bikes must have red rear reflectors
  • 15.2.2 Side reflectors - the reflectors on wheel spokes should be two sided and be fitted within 10cm of the outside rim. They must be either yellow or white
  • 15.2.3 Front reflectors - bicycles with front lights do not need front reflectors. Those without front lights must have a white/clear reflector
  • 15.2.4 Pedal reflectors - bikes must have yellow reflectors on the pedals.
Clause 19. Instructions
Every bike should come with a set of instructions. These should include:

• how to make adjustments to seat height etc
  • how, where, and how often to lubricate
  • how to adjust the gears
  • how to use accessories (where included), maintenance requirements and spares
  • recommendations on safe riding, for example regular checks on brakes and caution when braking in the wet.

There must already be some sort of standard. A few of my bikes have "meets with BS ?????" type stickers so there must be a British standard which they need to meet.

Top Bottom