BT help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
I've bought a house in the sticks. It has apparently an exterior digital aerial and a phone line and ADSL connecter for modem> spokt BT, 2 conflicting replies. 1) Engineer needs to come out 2) Modem will be posted.

TIA for any help or suggestions

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0334 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0334 (1).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2
  • thumbnail_IMG_0335.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0335.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This sounds very similar to our set up and we are quite rural. I'm not clear what your question is? Once the router arrives simply plug it in. You may find the ADSL connector is out of date/not needed. I would expect BT to send you a filter with the router.

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
This sounds very similar to our set up and we are quite rural. I'm not clear what your question is? Once the router arrives simply plug it in. You may find the ADSL connector is out of date/not needed. I would expect BT to send you a filter with the router.
Ta for that , all I need is Broadband and Freeview , does that make sense?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I would guess that you can ask BT to test the present installation to make sure they sell you the right router. Whether they can do that remotely or send an engineer round, I don't know.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Ta for that , all I need is Broadband and Freeview , does that make sense?
Yes, it makes sense and when I used BT Freeview was available from them - I don't know what the set up is these days. I use Sky for my broadband as BT is ridiculously expensive. If you have a Smart TV it will be able to receive didgital TV if you have a digital aerial. On the TV you should be able to find an app for Freeview. If you consider buying BT TV look at it very carefully because it is not cheap. If all you want is broadband, BBC iPlayer, ITV hub etc you should be able to do all this via Sky or other broadband providers and a Smart TV.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The modem is usually posted as the engineer has nothing to do with that side of things.

The engineer makes good the connection between your house and the local cabinet and then the local server for the BT internet usage package you have bought. (If you have gone onto superfast broadband from BT this needs a special connection)

You might also need a new Openreach box instead of the one in the photo

Last edited:
OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
The modem is usually posted as the engineer has nothing to do with that side of things.

The engineer makes good the connection between your house and the local cabinet and then the local server for the BT internet usage package you have bought. (If you have gone onto superfast broadband from BT this needs a special connection)

You might also need a new Openreach box instead of the one in the photo
Thanks for that

Drago

Legendary Member
An engineer had to come out and do something electricky to our BT wall socket. Only took him 5 mins but cured our prblems for good. Now have rock steady BT internet and TV.

Top Bottom