bt home hub wifi connection problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Ok so situation as follows. Until fairly recently everything worked OK however now although I can connect via wifi on home hub on desk top and lap top I cannot connect any smart phone to it.

The situation is the same on both my I phone (BT) and daughters Nokia E72 (Carphone warehouse sim)

I can see the network is there and it gives me the option of adding the security code to connect but then does nothing.

I can connect to other WIFI networks when out and about so its just the home hub that is giving me the issue.

Any input gratefully received.

Are you sure the security code/password hasn't altered? Alternatively are the phones connecting using the correct security protocol as set up on the home hub ie WEP/WPA2 etc, as appropriate?

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
4F

4F

Security codes are definitely the same as the desktop and lap top still work without change. How can I check to see if the are using the correct security protocol ?

On your phone, go into the manage WiFi settings option. Start from scratch and add a new network, so enter the Network SSID as shown exactly on the home hub, and you should have a drop down for security, where you can set the protocol type and password which again should be exactly what's set on the home hub.

OP
OP
4F

4F

Ok thanks will try that when I go get home. I have just deleted all network settings on my I phone and so will try again from scratch

byegad

Legendary Member
We started getting similar problems with my old Home Hub and eventually this got really bad with connection needing retry after retry before it would connect and dropping the connection very often. Luckily I had a new, as in unused Home Hub 2 that we got several years ago as a freeby on renewing my contract so I used that. Since then we have had no trouble.

Occasionally you get 'network congrestion ' where there is a lot of traffic on your channel. Symptoms are often not being able to connect, frequent connection dropout and your network may dissapear altogether.
The answer is to go into your router and then into the wi-fi section and look for configure. In those settings change channel selection from auto to manual then change channel number, I run on 6 or 9. Most routers select 11 automatically.
Not saying this is your problem but I would be looking at it.

OP
OP
4F

4F

Thanks all seemed to be sorted now. I did a reset on the hub, changed to channel 6, reset all network settings on phone and re selected network and all systems go :wahhey:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
there's a handy little tool called inSSIDer which can be downloaded from here which allows you to view network traffic and congestion in your immediate area. I was having similar problems, ran the utility, found a quiet channel and set my router to broadcast on that channel. Job's a good un:thumbsup: (I discovered no one locally was using channel 1 and there was no overflow onto it, so set it to use that channel)

Home hubs are temperamental

I can link anything to mine except the Kindle and Time Capsule

The former will not connect at all, and the latter only after a reset

Top Bottom