BT Openreach, the new idiots of the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Dunno what it is with me and BT Openreach transit vans this last couple of weeks but I've had close passes, left hooks, them sitting closer up my a**e than a colonoscopy camera, revving behind me and squeezing by.

I've had an many bad passes and near misses from this lot recently as I'd expect from everything out there in months or more usually

Anyone else or have they just got me in their sights for some reason?

andyfraser

Über Member
I've had a few close passes from Openreach vans, and British Gas vans, and Autoglass, and blue vans, and white vans, and vans in general. I swear van drivers have no idea how big their vehicle is and are too impatient to drive carefully.

andyfraser

Über Member
I did contemplate that for Autoglass and British Gas when they went passed, one after the other, within inches of my handlebar. I just can't help thinking that I'd just get an email/letter back thanking me for telling them and telling me it's been dealt with when actually they've done F all.

ClassicLime

Having driven vans for a few years a while back. Rear visibility is reduced they've much larger blind spots than cars etc. But that's absolutely no excuse for close passes, tailgating or bad driving.

They spend a lot of time in their vans so they know exactly how big they are, which unfortunately might mean they think they can squeeze into tight gaps they shouldn't. The extra time stuck in traffic when driving as part of the job will also increase the risk of fustration/road-rage. Again absolutely no excuse it just makes me wary of them, the same goes for salesmen/reps/Taxi's but they're harder to spot.

Contact their employer with the reg, time & date as more and more employers have installed cameras in vehicles. The lorries where I work & the vans where my dad works have been fitted with them for such investigations.

Also mention it on Twitter, I've spent ages waiting for replies from companies using offical complaint systems, it's amazing how quickly they try to resolve it when your complaint is visible to the public.

Last edited:

Tommy2

Über Member
I usually get a fairly close pass by a BT openreach van most mornings, they seem to use the Cedar Court hotel in Harrogate for something and some obviously set off at the the same time I do, May not be that they are more likely to do it just the frequency and volume of there vans on my route.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm not casting aspersions on van drivers per-se, I'll leave that to Andy. BT openreach have been around for years on the roads and so have I & we've peacefully co-existed for all of that time up until the last few weeks where across different areas of North Manchester at different times of the day, I've been made to feel vulnerable and intimidated In a way I do not usually and all by vans in the same livery. Maybe its one guy with a dislike of cyclists & coincidence, maybe they're under new instructions from head office to cut travel times, I don't know but something in the demeanour of BT apparently as a corporate entity seems to have changed from how it was previously.

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm not casting aspersions on van drivers per-se, I'll leave that to Andy.
Lol! I generally find the car drivers around here are pretty considerate, to the point that I really notice a car driver being a wally. I get a lot more close passes from vans and coaches than anything else, and I see a lot of vans on my commute.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Dunno what it is with me and BT Openreach transit vans this last couple of weeks but I've had close passes, left hooks, them sitting closer up my a**e than a colonoscopy camera, revving behind me and squeezing by.

I've had an many bad passes and near misses from this lot recently as I'd expect from everything out there in months or more usually

Anyone else or have they just got me in their sights for some reason?
Perhaps their drivers are feeling the pressure to squeeze in more jobs at whatever cost.....? BT expanded rather a lot past what they're perhaps equipped to deal with recently..

I've had most problems with royal mail drivers over the last year or so. I live near a sorting office and I think they now just take on boy racers.

13 rider

Guru
I usually get a fairly close pass by a BT openreach van most mornings, they seem to use the Cedar Court hotel in Harrogate for something and some obviously set off at the the same time I do, May not be that they are more likely to do it just the frequency and volume of there vans on my route.
Bt openreach has a training centre in Harrogate and use the hotels for accomadation and course all start at the same time

My worst ever experience was with a Sky Transit van. However last weeks commute was spoiled by a few passes by Scottish Water van BX60YYT (not sure how accurate). Hopefully next week the idiot has a new job in a different area.
I have emailed in the past to companies explaining my concerns for not on!y my safety but their company's driver too. Waste of time

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Do not complain to BT. They separated from Openreach sometime ago. They still do work for BT but are not the same thing. The regulator forced them to separate They also somewhat annoyingly do not have a front of house. Or at least this is what I was told when my phone was down for three weeks.

andyfraser

Über Member
My worst ever experience was with a Sky Transit van. However last weeks commute was spoiled by a few passes by Scottish Water van BX60YYT (not sure how accurate). Hopefully next week the idiot has a new job in a different area.
I have emailed in the past to companies explaining my concerns for not on!y my safety but their company's driver too. Waste of time
That reminds me of a close pass I had from a Sky van. It was promoting pro cycling on the sides and back!

As @ClassicLime mentioned, I've had much better luck with twitter than email. Put your complaint out there and someone usually answers within an hour or two.

Top Bottom