btwin rockrider 5.2 L or XL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kevcampbell

hi all, i am new here, found this place after watching some youtube video, can not remember the video much but i remember the video containing a link to here, i am kevin, 25 and i live in south east london

at the moment, i have no bike, but i want to fix that as soon as possible, but all that is holding me back at the moment is the tough decision i have, deciding between 2 different frame sizes, i never thought something like that would be so tricky and complicated to decide

the btwin rockrider 5.2 is the bike i want to get, i tested both the L and the XL today in decathlon lakeside and i found both bikes not too much different, but i found with the L that i felt i was leaning towards the front of the bike more than i was with the XL as with the XL i guess my posture felt more natural, if that sounds right

as far as saddles go, the lowest the saddle could go on the XL was low enough that the front half of my feet could touch the ground, so kind of how the feet should touch the ground, with the L the seat could go low enough so my entire feet could touch the ground, and obviously they could both be adjusted so the saddles on both bikes were equal heights

the store assistant and my partner also said the XL suited me more than the L did so i am leaning more towards the XL at the moment, but before i buy the bike i want to have peace of mind and know that the size i am buying is the size i need and everything

i am 6 foot 3-4 and my inside leg is about 33-34" and here is a guide for the 5.2 (looks like it is) http://www.btwincycl...vtt-10-2006.htm for anyone that would like to look at measurements

so the point of this is to get more opinions from some more people about this, some photos are below that my partner took today of me sitting on an L and an XL, can not remember what photos are of me sitting on L and XL but i guess some people will be able to tell by looking at the photos, ignore the face, may look sad but i was not, i just did not pose for the camera today
laugh.gif

click the pictures please as that will make the pictures massive

thank you for reading and looking, hope to hear from some of you people soon
smile.gif

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hi Kevin welcome to the forum!

I must say I wouldn't like to advice on size based on the photos given the difference in angle and pose. I would however suggest you try this.

The smaller bike will have a lower handlebar (when saddle to pedal distances are the same), which might explain why you felt you had to lean forward more on it.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
If your planning on riding off-road you'll want to ensure that you have a decent amount of clearance between the top tube and your "gentlemans area".

You could be in a postion where you need to dismount suddenly, and a frame without enough clearance will bring tears to your eyes.

OP
OP
kevcampbell

kevcampbell

If your planning on riding off-road you'll want to ensure that you have a decent amount of clearance between the top tube and your "gentlemans area".

You could be in a postion where you need to dismount suddenly, and a frame without enough clearance will bring tears to your eyes.

i think when i was standing over the XL i had roughly about 6cm clearance between the top of the top tube and that area

all the size guides i have been looking at too have also being saying about a 21" inch frame (the XL is 21" i think) and all the guides go by inside leg, my inside leg is almost or is 34"

when i am standing up and riding, how should the bike be also, i some how forgot to ride the bike standing up yesterday
laugh.gif
although i will do next time i go but when i am pedalling standing up i should not have any trouble with coming in contact with the saddle should i? what do you 2 think?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
when i am standing up and riding, how should the bike be also, i some how forgot to ride the bike standing up yesterday
laugh.gif
although i will do next time i go but when i am pedalling standing up i should not have any trouble with coming in contact with the saddle should i? what do you 2 think?

A rough guide for saddle elevation is when you are sitting on it your heel (with shoes) can rest on the pedal at its bottom position while that leg is straight, but since you ride with the ball of the foot and not your heel on the pedal, there should not be any significant "contact". Further when you are riding out of the saddle, to maintain balance your body will mostly have moved in front of the saddle because your only contacts with the bike then are the handlebar and the pedals (and which meant that your body's centre of gravity is naturally going to have to be in front of the bottom bracket).

OP
OP
kevcampbell

kevcampbell

A rough guide for saddle elevation is when you are sitting on it your heel (with shoes) can rest on the pedal at its bottom position while that leg is straight, but since you ride with the ball of the foot and not your heel on the pedal, there should not be any significant "contact". Further when you are riding out of the saddle, to maintain balance your body will mostly have moved in front of the saddle because your only contacts with the bike then are the handlebar and the pedals (and which meant that your body's centre of gravity is naturally going to have to be in front of the bottom bracket).

confused me now, well kind of, but as long as there is no contact, i guess there will not be as you mentioned about where my body will be because of gravity, well that is all good, all that is left to do now is go test both the bikes again and buy one, but i am about 90% sure it will be the XL i buy and once i have it i will be sure to write about it or something, thank you for all the great reply, they have been super helpful and also contained good information

take care

Top Bottom