Btwin ultra 720 af

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John342

Hi all, am considering this as an early xmas present to myself.
Just wondering if anyone knows what max width tyres this bike would take?
Cheers John.
Ps a bit off topic but who would keep the pink bar tape and who wouldn't. It's the only bit I am undecided upon.
Not a fan of pink myself but it goes well.

Hi all, am considering this as an early xmas present to myself.
Just wondering if anyone knows what max width tyres this bike would take?
Cheers John.
Ps a bit off topic but who would keep the pink bar tape and who wouldn't. It's the only bit I am undecided upon.
Not a fan of pink myself but it goes well.

IMG_3351.JPG

That's my 720 AF. It's a cracking good bike. It will take up to 28mm tyres. As you can see, I've kept the pink bar tape. You may want to replace the cassette with an 11-28, the 11-25 it comes with, can be a bit of a chew if you're not used to hills. The 11-25 has proved to be fine for me personally, but I know some people prefer the extra teeth on the big sprocket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

John342

Cheers mate. Can I upgrade the rear cassette to the 11-28 without having to fit a longer derailleur etc?

vickster

Legendary Member
Easy to change the tape...I always do on bikes that come fitted with that dull black stuff ;)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Cheers mate. Can I upgrade the rear cassette to the 11-28 without having to fit a longer derailleur etc?

I've got the Mach 720 (when it came with Campagnolo Centaur). It came with the 12-25 cassette which I replaced with 12-27 when it was worn. Derailleur handled it without problems. I think so long as you don't use the 27 tooth sprocket combined with the large ring on the front you should be fine

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The rear D can handle it fine, you may need a slightly longer chain (or avoid 50-28, but much safer to ensure chain is the right length for the price of a new chain)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Easy to change the tape...I always do on bikes that come fitted with that dull black stuff ;)
It's not dull black, half of it's shocking pink. To be fair it matches in with a couple of flashes of paint and the seat, so I'd be tempted to leave as us until it needs replacing, then see if you can get some to match the blue.

vickster

Legendary Member
My point was tape is easy to change and should not be a reason to not buy the right bike

Yes, it will go to a 30 tooth big sprocket on the stock rear derailleur, with the 114 link chain it comes with.

I've just bought one of these. It's genuinely a fun bike to ride, and for the money there doesn't seem to be much to touch it. Perhaps the only thing I'd change is a 52 chainring rather than the 50 it comes with. I'm not too bothered abut the 25 on the cassette - it's so much lighter than my previous bike I really don't notice the extra effort! And I'm sticking with the pink for now. When it gets grubby, maybe I'll think about a change, but it goes pretty well with the bright blue of the frame and forks.

Top Bottom