B'Twin Ultra 720 AF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dfthe1

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-720-af-road-bike-ultegra-id_8331274.html

Starting a new job soon and looking to use the cycle scheme. Happy to top up above £1000 if the shop allows.

Will be using it for 25 mile round trip commute, plus 60-ish mile weekend rides and the odd 100 mile+ sportive.

Had my heart set on something carbon from one of the big brands. Then I went to Decathlon.

For £1050 I can get an alu frame with carbon fork and full Ultegra. My LBS said to bite their hand off.

What am I missing?

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

vickster

Legendary Member
Can it take a rack and fill mudguards for commuting? A good reason for not having carbon for a commuter. Do you commute in all weathers, if so bear in mind Ultegra parts are relatively costly to replace if you want to use the same parts

Can you sign up to C2W asap or need to wait for probation period? If the latter, the 2017 models will be discounted soon

Assume you've checked the likes of Paul's cycles for 2016 reductions

And that Decathlon alllow C2W top up

Last edited:

J1888

Über Member
It looks like exceptional value for money, that's for sure. For ordinary Joe Public to buy the groupset and wheels alone it would be pushing around £800!

Saw one in the flesh and thought it looked great, the only thing that slightly let it down for me were the joins in the frame - they're not 'hydroformed' (think that's the correct term), so where Boardman alu frames are smooth at the weld, the Btwin wasn't.

Wouldn't really be an issue for me and I really considered buying one.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
For a do it all commuter I would look at the Planet X London Road. Same price point hydraulic discs, mudguard and rack mounts. Sub 10kg, with 25mm tyres great for road riding or you could race in a cx race as well with the right tyres on.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLD...n-road-sram-rival-11-hydraulic-disc-road-bike
I just noticed that Planet-X have £200 off the London Road as part of their A to Z offers. Code: PRATOZL. So £749 until lunchtime tomorrow....

dhd.evans

Veteran
I currently ride the Ultra AF 70 - 105-equipped version of this. Cannot fault it. It's sharp, handles well and is durable. I have a lot of respect for B'Twin bikes, i'd definitely purchase this.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I ride a slightly different version of the 720 which is full carbon and Campagnolo groupset but there are a lot of common elements between this and the bike you're looking at

Great bike for leisure cycling although a fairly keen geometry so not really a tourer. Also mine would not take panniers if I wanted to fit them so you need to bear that in mind.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you check the specs again @vickster its only a carbon fork, frame is aluminium.

Agree about the welds.@J1888 not too clued up on hydro forming aluminium but I think it allows tapered and curved sections to be used. Think that's the difference. The joints would need to welded and they are smoothed afterwards. +1 for the Boardman. Spec for the 720 is outstanding though.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you check the specs again @vickster its only a carbon fork, frame is aluminium.

Agree about the welds.@J1888 not too clued up on hydro forming aluminium but I think it allows tapered and curved sections to be used. Think that's the difference. The joints would need to welded and they are smoothed afterwards. +1 for the Boardman. Spec for the 720 is outstanding though.

I know. The OP said he was looking for carbon before happening upon the Btwin
"Had my heart set on something carbon from one of the big brands."

My Boardman has visible welds at the bottom bracket area

Carbon, Ultegra, £999 (+10% fee I believe for C2W). Only two sizes available and...

DUE TO LIMITED STOCK WE ARE UNABLE TO OFFER CYCLESCHEME PURCHASE ON THIS BIKE - UNLESS YOU HAVE YOUR VOUCHER IN HAND

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6694/CUBE-ATTAIN-GTC-RACE-2016

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dfthe1

Thanks all -- lots of food for thought there. To answer some of your questions:

-- I'm not bothered about a rack for commuting as I'd prefer a backpack.
-- It will take raceblades but not full guards. I'll be showering and changing at work so not too worried.
-- I can sign up for the C2W as soon as I start next week, and keen to get something soon so I can enjoy it over the summer

Thanks for all the other comments and suggestions -- going to have a good look at it all, but I'm leaning heavily towards the B'twin at the moment...

OP
OP
D

dfthe1

Planet X ProCarbon with full Ultegra is £999 at the moment. Use PROCARBON at checkout. :okay:
Doesn't seem to be available on cycle to work, unfortunately -- and they add an extra 10-12% 'build fee' on cycle to work purchases anyway.

Top Bottom