Buckled rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Haven't had my wonderful Trek 4500D too long. Beautiful hardtail example.

No extreme riding done so far, mainly kept to easy trails and cycle paths. After my last ride out I noticed a bit of wheel wobble. On closer inspection I found the rear wheel to be buckled in one place. How on earth did this happen? Surely MTB wheels are made of stronger stuff.

Cycle shop I bought it from doesn't want to know. Question is, how much does a wheel truing cost from a regular LBS? TBH the buckle is not noticeable whilst riding. (the 2.2" tyres hide it well) but there must be around 5-6 mm of sideways buckling noticeable when the wheel is spun. The disc and hub is fine, seems to be on the rim only.

Booyaa

Veteran
Haven't had my wonderful Trek 4500D too long. Beautiful hardtail example.

No extreme riding done so far, mainly kept to easy trails and cycle paths. After my last ride out I noticed a bit of wheel wobble. On closer inspection I found the rear wheel to be buckled in one place. How on earth did this happen? Surely MTB wheels are made of stronger stuff.

Cycle shop I bought it from doesn't want to know. Question is, how much does a wheel truing cost from a regular LBS? TBH the buckle is not noticeable whilst riding. (the 2.2" tyres hide it well) but there must be around 5-6 mm of sideways buckling noticeable when the wheel is spun. The disc and hub is fine, seems to be on the rim only.
A place I go in Glasgow usually takes £8 to true a wheel.

simon.r

Person
Buy a spoke key and do it yourself? It's easy enough with a little patience.

Factory wheels have a reputation for not being the best out of the box - a tweak with a spoke key may prevent further mishaps.

Top Bottom