Rear lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The bike has a head lamp, but no rear lights, all I have is lights on the helmet, Lidi best with indicators too. But I look at back of bike and question is where can they go? Mud guard obscure the seat. Rear fork likely will get damaged when folded. In the main not needed, but may be the odd time don't get home on time. So may be best place is on me. But what do others use?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The bike has a head lamp, but no rear lights, all I have is lights on the helmet, Lidi best with indicators too. But I look at back of bike and question is where can they go? Mud guard obscure the seat. Rear fork likely will get damaged when folded. In the main not needed, but may be the odd time don't get home on time. So may be best place is on me. But what do others use?
I like one that I can clip into my Topeak saddle bag and it's easy to move from bike to bike.

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

I had a cheap lamp on previous bikes, but they did not fold, and the mud guard did not obscure the seat. So if it sticks out will be damaged when folded. Road bike has a back rack and a light on the rack. I would normally find likes of Lidi and Aldi would from time to time do cycle lamp kits, but nearest is 8 miles away, and no car licence, so daughter does shopping or on line. Looked at the arm bands but would put them on my legs.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So you’re saying the fold is the problem in fitting the rear light? @Spiderweb beat me to it. You don’t have to buy from Lidl, there are plenty of online sellers offering budget lights.

Baldy

Über Member
Halfords sell a set of two flashing lights one red one white for £10. Just clip the red one to your back.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I use blinky red lights when I ride day or night, as I often am riding in traffic and every bit of visibility helps. The main thing you want is one with high lumens output. 100 lm and 150 lm are both plenty bright. They are USB rechargeable. I pull a small section of the strap out of a hole on the back of my helmet and clip it on there. When I fasten the helmet the light tightens to the helmet.

10548B9E-B7B9-4FA1-89E3-55791F865C4F.jpeg

Great location and at night can be easily seen a block away. However, if it must be mounted on your bike, you can take the reflector off the back of your rack if you have one and buy a small L shape bracket to attach with a nut and bolt through the rack and make a holder for it. Brighter lumens = more visibility. They seem pricey but are so convenient and you don’t have to mess with batteries. Cygolite is a good brand. (Snapshot only)

3F625DAA-4A9B-426D-AA45-4393854B6014.jpeg

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

My helmet is this type 591475
already so no point putting a light on the helmet, what I do worry about is I don't know if the helmet lights stops working, the handle bar control may show the helmet is turned on, but seems prudent to have back-up on shirt, legs, or arms.

Yes I know should comply with BS6102/3 and be a steady light not flashing and fixed to bike. But I am not intending to do night riding, it is really for when things go wrong. Not one of my bikes has BS6102/3 printed on it.

Sharky

Guru
The UK law allows flashing lights and must be fixed to the bike. In the event of an accident, the other party could claim contributary negligence.
Helmet lights can be good secondary lights, but if you move your head, or bend down, the rear light can give a confusing view to a following motorist or could momentarily dissappear from view.

I find lights mounted on the bike to be the best. Helmet mounted are too high - makes it look like a bike further away in the dark. Also a lot of people ride head down so the light at the back is pointed to the sky.

I'm curious about a mudguard that blocks your saddle ?

I use blinky red lights when I ride day or night, as I often am riding in traffic and every bit of visibility helps. The main thing you want is one with high lumens output. 100 lm and 150 lm are both plenty bright. They are USB rechargeable. I pull a small section of the strap out of a hole on the back of my helmet and clip it on there. When I fasten the helmet the light tightens to the helmet.

View attachment 591467

Great location and at night can be easily seen a block away. However, if it must be mounted on your bike, you can take the reflector off the back of your rack if you have one and buy a small L shape bracket to attach with a nut and bolt through the rack and make a holder for it. Brighter lumens = more visibility. They seem pricey but are so convenient and you don’t have to mess with batteries. Cygolite is a good brand. (Snapshot only)

View attachment 591466
Absolutely not - what on earth do you think this head height oo so powerful light is like for any cyclists following you? A fair few cyclists with powerful head mounted rear lights in London, UK. A nightmare.
Do cars have headlights, rear lights, let alone flashing, shining straight into the eyes of other motorists through their windscreens?

Top Bottom