Rear lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is an issue with some lights having a minimum radius that it will securely fix to

so the only available tubes may be too thin for a lot of attachments
I get round this by wrapping a bit of old inner tube round the frame and supergluing it to itself - then attaching the light to that

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Absolutely not - what on earth do you think this head height oo so powerful light is like for any cyclists following you? A fair few cyclists with powerful head mounted rear lights in London, UK. A nightmare.
Do cars have headlights, rear lights, let alone flashing, shining straight into the eyes of other motorists through their windscreens?
Hmm... This is a pretty common way to use them here, and no one has ever mentioned that they're bothersome to them. When I drive a car, I really appreciate and understand why bikers have strong visible lights. To me a nightmare is more likely to be caused by someone riding in black or dark clothing, no or poor lights. With so many people here driving while texting, my main goal is really just to stay alive. A 1-inch safety light is also a far cry from any of a motor vehicle's lights. However, if I rode in a group ride, I could set it to steady-red only. Not as safe or bright, but better suited to the circumstances.

acuna_read

There is an issue with some lights having a minimum radius that it will securely fix to

so the only available tubes may be too thin for a lot of attachments
I get round this by wrapping a bit of old inner tube round the frame and supergluing it to itself - then attaching the light to that
I use these as my everyday lights https://magicshineuk.com/product/seemee-30-combo/.

Nice and quick to put on and off, will fit on rear stays, seat posts, racks. USB chargeable with battery that lasts a long time. Plenty bright enough to be seen with various flashing or pulsing modes.

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

In the main I simply don't ride at night, so don't need lights, I think even if the law does not allow flashing lights, these identify to the car driver that it is a bike, so still like flashing lights, what I am considering is when for example I get a puncture and so am delayed, so I have not got off where I am riding before dusk.

The mud guard 591580 means any light below seat hight is useless, and above seat hight is not the bike and for 4 inches below the seat likely any coat will also obscure any light. So I have two arms, 591581 that when folded will be on the outside of the bike so bottom arm is useless as top arm will obscure, and it needs to be on top of top arm not to side as once folded likely will get damaged.

So I want a lamp mounted some thing like this. 591582 However not found a lamp with mounting brackets that would allow it to be mounted in that way, old dynamo lamps 591583 would work, but then need to get power to it, I assume I can tap into front lamp but seems likely 48 volt, but I can't be alone, loads of people must want to do the same, and I just can't believe there is not a cheap read lamp which I can mount on that near horizontal bar, with one would hope the correct BS number making it legal in UK.

I am sure I can make a lamp bracket, but why re-invent the wheel, this must be a regular requirement so would have expected an off the shelf lamp which will do the job.

And yes I know there have not been bicycle dynamo for around 70 years, alternators replaced them years ago, but still call it a dynamo even if it is an AC output.

raggydoll

Über Member
Sorted wife it seems can hunt the internet better than me, and she has found a lamp that will fit on that rear fork tube.

Excellent. I was going to suggest something that would attach to the rear fork.

Hope you get something that fits well and keeps you safe!

raggydoll

Über Member
The one that amuses me are the folk who ride with a perfectly good rear light on the seat pin, but then wear a long coat which then hangs over and obscures said light - ! :rofl:

I dread to think what happens if it gets caught in the wheel too!

simongt

Guru
if it gets caught in the wheel too!
'Back in the day', ladies specific bikes had dress guards on the rear wheel consisting of a lacing arrangement from the mudguard to a point just behind the bottom bracket. Such arrangements can still occasionally be seen nowadays. ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Hmm... This is a pretty common way to use them here, and no one has ever mentioned that they're bothersome to them. When I drive a car, I really appreciate and understand why bikers have strong visible lights. To me a nightmare is more likely to be caused by someone riding in black or dark clothing, no or poor lights. With so many people here driving while texting, my main goal is really just to stay alive. A 1-inch safety light is also a far cry from any of a motor vehicle's lights. However, if I rode in a group ride, I could set it to steady-red only. Not as safe or bright, but better suited to the circumstances.
Except there is some evidence that daytime use of unnecessarily bright lights on 2 wheelers actually increases your chances of being wiped out. I've explained the mechanism behind it too many times now to bother doing so again.

raggydoll

Über Member
'Back in the day', ladies specific bikes had dress guards on the rear wheel consisting of a lacing arrangement from the mudguard to a point just behind the bottom bracket. Such arrangements can still occasionally be seen nowadays. ^_^

I might need to get one of those for my weekend rides!:laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You do have a light obscuring problem with that 'flinger' style of rear mudguard.

A better shaped clip-on, such as the one in this link, would enable you to fit a decent quality bike light to your wedge pack/saddle/ saddle rail.

Some fiddling might be needed with the guard to account for rear suspension compression, but that's unlikely to be more than centimetre or two in road/cycle path riding.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-m...Vy8bpsHUZhv8NHu_X6AaAkS8EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have a quality rear and front battery light as required and that's it. When car drivers start wearing fire suits, helmets and painting their car in day glo colours I may look at it again. I have cycled for over 25 years in every environment and yes the odd dickhead and threat but other than it is me not succumbing to the fear of the car drivers.

Top Bottom