Budget 700x32c utility / touring tyres - owt better than Conti Tour Ride at c. £16ea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Fuji needs new boots. I have no complaints about the original-fitment Vera Citywide rubber, except that they're not available anywhere...

The Contis look to have good reviews and I'm generally happy with the "Sport Contacts" or similar on the Genesis.

What do you prefer for cheap, reliable and easy-rolling utility duties?

vickster

Legendary Member

All uphill

Still rolling along
Whatever decent brand tyres bankruptbikeparts are selling cheap. I recently got some schwalbe marathon racers from them.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
The Conti’s are decent enough for general commuting / touring imo. I’m
enjoying mine and have no complaints - on that type of bike for that type of useage. Although can’t comment on longevity yet; as not done big miles on them.

Only one thing I can add - is SOME odd tyres can be troublesome (very tight) to fit if you read some reviews. One of mine was tougher than the other. Nothing to worry over in my case, or stop me buying again though. Oh - and the width cones up narrow compared to ‘most’ other Brands in the same supposed width IMO.

Drago

Legendary Member
Fuji needs new boots. I have no complaints about the original-fitment Vera Citywide rubber, except that they're not available anywhere...

The Contis look to have good reviews and I'm generally happy with the "Sport Contacts" or similar on the Genesis.

What do you prefer for cheap, reliable and easy-rolling utility duties?

Michelin...but I can't remember the type without going outside and checking.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks all :smile:

I think the Conti's are winning currently as they're amongst the cheapest and seem to have the best reviews. The Schwalbe Delta Cruisers also seem worth a look but it's hard to pin down reviews since they apparently keep changing their designs. Marathons are out on cost grounds and I've heard mixed opinions about their ease (or lack thereof!) of fitting as well as ride quality.

The Vredisteins look good (and cheap too!) although I can't find much feedback on them and the bankrupt bike parts site is pretty opaque when it comes to postage.. Lifeline's are out of stock in the size I need. Michelins also look good but are considerably more pricey than the rest.

I hate buying tyres as their characteristics are potentially so hard to quantify and to an extent subjective, so it's going to be a leap of faith of some description. Might try and get my decisive hat on and order some later...

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Struggling to find any reviews on the Vredisteins and tbh I think I'd prefer a bit more tread, so it's down to the Conti Ride Tours v. the Schwalbe Delta Cruisers (in their million permutations)..

Top Bottom