Budget advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom87

A friend wants his first road bike and has a budget of around £400. What are the contenders in this price range?

He doesn't want to buy 2nd hand either and will probably buy from LBS so he can get fitted properly and have services etc, with it being his first bike.

Local shops stock mostly, Giant, Specialized and Claud Butler. Those will probably be the main contenders at his price point, but any competitive models from other brands would be worth mentioning, as the internet hasn't been ruled out.

sonny

Boardman Urban Comp for £399 from Halfords.
I have the Pro and it is very good.

OP
OP
T

Tom87

The boardman appears to be more a town bike (and the first road bike I've seen with disc brakes...). He wants more of a racing bike, with drop bars, but not necessarilly an out and out racer.

He wants it for longish road rides, keeping fit and to do the coast to coast with me and another mate.

bobbyp

Take a look at ribble cycles, they have some good deals on their winter trainers. I used to have a bike built around the same frame and it was perfect for training, commuting, club TTs and such. Took panniers and mudguards if wanted so touring would be no problem, quite sprightly if you didn't load it up.

And then some thieving scrotes nicked it :blush:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Second the Ribble Trainer/Audax/Winter bike circa £400, bargain.

Otherwise, fave suggestion would be a Giant SCR range, good frame, good basic kit, will take full mudguards and a rack for lightweight touring/long distance Audax style riding.
Pal has an SCR2 and compared to my older TCR1 at nearly 3x the SCR's price you realise the SCR is a bargain. Riding position is not too severe either.

paul

Yet another vote for one in the Giant SCR range, reliable and can't beat them at the currents price offers around LBS, Recommend LBS for service and back up support!

OP
OP
T

Tom87

So the Giant SCR4 is probably his best bet? Would it be up to doing rides like the coast to coast, and other rides of around 30-60+ miles?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The SCR4 will be able to do that distance easy. Most on mine so far is 69M, and the SCR4 is my main bike so it goes on club rides and i do well over 150M a week on it. The saddle isnt the best. The shifters i think need to be better so it is easier to change from 1-8 when on the drops. Overall it is a very nice bike. I've been to do a proper review but not got round to it.

andyfromotley

If he can streeeeeeeeeeeeetch his budget just a bit then he will be very happy with a spesh ALLEZ. Highly recommended by me and loads of other beginners. Usually £500 but occasionally £450 in sales etc

good luck. (dont forget to tell him to budget for a lid, pedals and shoes if he wants em, probably another £80- 90 min.)

andy

Top Bottom