Budget Bikepacking bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
The Podsacs tarpaulin is thick, inflexible, doesn't fold well which diminishes the packing space. I bought the fork cages with 4L dry bags, It's a bit heavy TBH. If buying again I would go for the 5L. I have a cheapo saddlebag too. really wish that I had paid more and gone with Topeak instead.

Having delved into the world of bike-packing bags (and used them on tour) I'm considering refitting a lightweight rear rack and strapping down a 13L Ortlieb dry bag (cost under £20). The quality of the tarp is superior, it's lighter, it flexes well and folds over nicely to seal the bag, leaving a lot more room for kit.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Roswheel?
I have their panniers, they do all right, although I can't speak to waterproof, as I usually line my bags with plastic garbage sacks. Come in handy, in case of emergency.
That's the ones. I would not travel the world with them, but good enough for my infrequent use.

Having delved into the world of bike-packing bags (and used them on tour) I'm considering refitting a lightweight rear rack and strapping down a 13L Ortlieb dry bag (cost under £20).

You will of course have to think up a new name for this technique and watch the cycling world set afire :smile:

Yes I really like those Ortlieb 13L bags - they can also be kept rolled and taken out when you need more storage.

I sometimes even use one on top of a tubus fly - the minimalist rack with hardly a platform - it will sit there fine if - horror or horrors - you are carrying two small panniers.

Top Bottom