Budget Down Sleeping Bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Totally agree re: buying a decent down bag, but I'm holding off just in case cycle camping isn't my thing. Same reason I'm using cheapo SJS panniers for now. If I find I really like I'll be throwing some cash at Ortlieb etc
But for now, budget is king.
Understood. Have a peep on eBay. There are some auctions going on at the moment for 3 season down bags of reputable quality, all under £100 at the moment. Use the filters to restrict to 2nd hand and down bags...

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

I'm currently thinking that come the warmer weather I could use my cheap nasty Tesco bag with something like this : http://m.rei.com/product/705534/sea-to-summit-reactor-thermolite-mummy-bag-liner

Have you considered just using a down quilt with a silk liner? I know that in the summer we almost always end up using our sleeping bags unskilled as quilts just using on our silk liners as sheets. A single down quilt say either 9 tog if you need to be really warm or 4.5 you if you are a thermal generator and sleep hot off you get my meaning.

I do know of people who only use quilts not sleeping bags when camping.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
for a two season bag, I went for a good quality synthetic. I was filled with "qualofill" which is supposedly a cleverly designed proprietary material. The make was Snugpack which, from memory is/was Cotswold Camping's in-house brand - I guess it's mid range quality wise. It packs down to a maybe 12" x 5" so small arm enough for luggage and warm enough summer camping in UK or Europe. No good for Glencoe in winter, and I did get cold in the Alps (campsites not glaciers) n summer too, but still a great 2 season item. I have a blingtastic Mountain Equipment top-of-range down bag for the winter which was worth every considerable penny but needs more care and was a log of dosh

the synthetic bag can be stuffed in washing machine if it gets pongy, is warmish for it's size being a reasonably high quality one, and being lots cheaper than down you don't worry as much about it.

If I replaced it I might consider, like you, a two season down bag, but would probably end up with a good quality synthetic again. Top quality Down for winter though, despite cost

andym

Über Member
Down isn't in itself warmer than synthetic - it's advantage is that it packs down smaller and gives you the about the same warmth for half the weight. My PHD Minimus sleeping bag was no warmer than the Decathlon bag I linked to earlier - but it weighed half as much (and cost several times the price of the Decathlon bag)

robing

Über Member
I tried 2 Vango down bags which were both poor and I returned them. Also don't trust their temperature ratings. Then I got the Robens Caucasus 300 from Cotswold Outdoor which is great. Packs down nice and small and light. About £ 120. I think you get what you pay for with down bags.

Top Bottom