Budget Hybrid for long tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clemontine36

Hey guys,

A friend and I are cycling from France to Bulgaria on the Eurvelo 6 route next summer and I was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations/tips on which bike to purchase.

I have a budget of around 450£ but would like to spend less if possible, something sturdy and reliable would be ideal!

I'm 182cm, fairly thin, we'll be cycling 40-80km per day and carrying a reasonably heavy load. I have little experience cycling but hoping to change that very soon.

I've been considering several bikes so far:

https://www.adventureoutdoor.co/mens/flat-white

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-2-2018-hybrid-bike-EV275572

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/vodoo-marasa-hybrid-bike/1323540283

Any help would be much appreciated,
Cheers
icon_smile.gif

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I've done a fair few miles on my Marasa.
it has carried my considerable bulk on many a trip..
I did have to upgrade the original wheels (they weren't built for my off track 19 stones)
I did fit 35 Marathon Greenguard tyres instead of the original semi-knobbles

Whatever you choose..
enjoy the ride....

While this isn't as true as it once was, you'll still struggle to get more bike for the money than Decathlon's Triban range.
The stock wheels on the Triban 500 aren't great and the drivetrain is entry-level, but if you view it as a platform for upgrades the overall value for money is excellent.
They do a flat bar variant of the 520 for a bit more than the 500 that looks to be better specced and more versatile.

Switch the wheels for something more rugged, add a rear rack and mudguards and you're good to go.
If you wanted front panniers you'd possibly want to switch the forks.

(Decathlon also has the added advantage of being fairly omnipresent on the continent.)

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome to CC @Clemontine36.
I vote for the Pinnacle: got the 2016 model with disk brakes on sale 2 years ago, I did add mudguards and a rack for panniers, changed the stock tyres for Marathon Greenguards.
The Pinnacle has great low gears for climbing ^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Vfm its a no brainer as the Voodoo will do the job and it has discs, plus you're left with a bit of cash to add a few touring bits.
The Decathlon option would be a good one as suggested and their frames carry a lifetime warranty.
Good luck with whatever you go with.

12boy

Guru
I would prefer steel, myself with a level toptube but I am an old Luddite. I would suggest you think seriuosly about riding with flat bars for 80 klicks with only one hand position. I don't much like deep drops but find moustache bars give as many hand positions and can keep your hands as high as flats. At the least consider some ergon grips and bar ends . While it is true your saddle can give you some righteous grief, don't underestimate the pain and fatigue your neck, shoulders and hands can bestow after a while. Whatever you get make sure you get it set up to fit you properly....a mediocre bike that fits well and comfortably is a more enjoyable ride than a high end bike that doesn't .

On longer rides, my arms are the first point of failure. I can ride small-diameter drops all day. My flat bar bike was converted to a bendier On One Mary and is good for 30 miles. Trekking/butterfly bars seem a good solution to the alt hand-hold issue whilst retaining compatibility with flat bar controls and associated derailleurs.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Between your two threads you likely understand as much as you ever will in terms of the pros and cons of the different bikes. I'd buy the 'dale if I was you and the condition is good (I'd probably chisel a few quid off first, actually!)

OP
OP
C

Clemontine36

Just trying to get the best picture I can ;).
I have messaged the seller but it may have already been sold. The Sirrus however is definitely available, as is a good condition 2017 Pinnacle Lithium 3 (for £250!)

Top Bottom