Budget of £500 ish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tbtb

If you can get a CAAD8 for £500 go for it
thumbsup.png
Or for £450 if the size fits!

This is the Sora triple, which is a good because the OP does mention "good for hills". D'you think we're wrong to presume he means road bike when he says road bike? Only, I turned down the CAAD8 at 500 a few months back as it doesn't have clearance for bigger tyres. Went for a Genesis Aether (takes 32" tyres - once you replace the narrow rims :rolleyes:). It's a beauty to look at though, the Cannondale and 450 is very cheap..

The Rover

Guru
Got a budget of around £500 ish, lookng for a road bike for everyday use, good on hills. Any suggestions what i should be looking at. I went to my local LBS and the guy was keen on the Raleigh Airlite range. Are these any good??

First post here. I got a raleigh airlite 300 last Oct as my first road and although I cant compare it against anything I have been really pleased with it.

Its got tiagra gearing and I have recently added some mavic askuim wheels which have improved it further.

I did some research before buying and although there are some sniggers about raleigh I couldnt find anything negative about this model.

I have become hooked on this cycling lark and I'm sure this bike has been a big part of it although I realise this will probably become my winter/turbo bike.

I went for a bike fit on Friday at Paul Hewitts and he changed it quite a lot. Only managed to do a few miles yesterday as I have man flu but it did feel better.

Cheers Stuart.

gbb

Legendary Member
First post here. I got a raleigh airlite 300 last Oct as my first road and although I cant compare it against anything I have been really pleased with it.

Its got tiagra gearing and I have recently added some mavic askuim wheels which have improved it further.

I did some research before buying and although there are some sniggers about raleigh I couldnt find anything negative about this model.

I have become hooked on this cycling lark and I'm sure this bike has been a big part of it although I realise this will probably become my winter/turbo bike.

I went for a bike fit on Friday at Paul Hewitts and he changed it quite a lot. Only managed to do a few miles yesterday as I have man flu but it did feel better.

Cheers Stuart.

Its unfortunate Raleigh have got this reputation, perhaps some of its deserved, perhaps they just lost their way some years back, but i had a Raleigh Chimera, like an early Airlite in design but chromo framed. Gotta say, that bike did me proud, thousands of miles covered, winter and summer...i was sad to see that bike go . If the airlite has retained the reliability the Chimera had, it might not be the most exciting buy, but it will be solid.

Top Bottom