Budget road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moldova

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on buying a new road bike. My budget is around 500 USD. I am 66 years old, 5' 7", and looking for something comfortable.

Thanks in advance!

vickster

Legendary Member
Perhaps look for a used Trek Domane? Probably in a 52-54cm frame (S-M). Should be fairly plentiful in the US? Otherwise maybe an older Specialized Secteur or similar. Used is probably your best bet for something decent given your budget.
Comfort will likely come down to you and the fit of the bike :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know about the US but in the UK the current crisis has seen availability get worse and delivery times lengthen. Were mostly Brits on here but we do have quite a few members from over the pond. @Gravity Aided might like to comment.
With that budget you might be better off going secondhand for better value as long as you can find one that hasn't had much use. People often take up cycling with good intentions and give up soon after. Look on Craigslist and even yard sales or thrift stores for bargains.
If you haven't ridden in a while the fitted saddle might not be too comfortable so be prepared to swap it out. Padded shorts might help in that area too.

:welcome:to the forum.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I might suggest a used gravel or touring bicycle, as the geometry of the frame is more relaxed. You may find a good one on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or Offer Up, and have it looked over at a bicycle co-op, although you may want to look at a bicycle co-op first, as they often get bicycles donated to them as well. It may be a bit of a drive to get to one, and the current situation may limit their assistance, but that would be the best choice.

OP
OP
M

moldova

Perhaps look for a used Trek Domane? Probably in a 52-54cm frame (S-M). Should be fairly plentiful in the US? Otherwise maybe an older Specialized Secteur or similar. Used is probably your best bet for something decent given your budget.
Comfort will likely come down to you and the fit of the bike :smile:

Thank you! I'll look into Trek Domane :smile:

OP
OP
M

moldova

Don't know about the US but in the UK the current crisis has seen availability get worse and delivery times lengthen. Were mostly Brits on here but we do have quite a few members from over the pond. @Gravity Aided might like to comment.
With that budget you might be better off going secondhand for better value as long as you can find one that hasn't had much use. People often take up cycling with good intentions and give up soon after. Look on Craigslist and even yard sales or thrift stores for bargains.
If you haven't ridden in a while the fitted saddle might not be too comfortable so be prepared to swap it out. Padded shorts might help in that area too.

:welcome:to the forum.

Thank you! The supply is limited here as well, and so are the delivery times. I figured I'll have to swap the seat out as well :smile:

OP
OP
M

moldova

I might suggest a used gravel or touring bicycle, as the geometry of the frame is more relaxed. You may find a good one on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or Offer Up, and have it looked over at a bicycle co-op, although you may want to look at a bicycle co-op first, as they often get bicycles donated to them as well. It may be a bit of a drive to get to one, and the current situation may limit their assistance, but that would be the best choice.

I never heard of Offer Up. Thank You. I'll look into it!

OP
OP
M

moldova

Giant Escape 3 Disc - $530 new price if available?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-3-disc-2021

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

monkers

Veteran
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Welcome. Just a note to say that many new bikes are sold without pedals these days. You might need to allow a little more cash for that or ask for free pedals as a negotiating point perhaps. I see you've also been pointed towards Trek. I have a Trek. It's a great bike but I understand that new Trek bikes are subject to acute shortages at the moment, but some from Giant are beginning to trickle through.

vickster

Legendary Member
Welcome. Just a note to say that many new bikes are sold without pedals these days. You might need to allow a little more cash for that or ask for free pedals as a negotiating point perhaps. I see you've also been pointed towards Trek. I have a Trek. It's a great bike but I understand that new Trek bikes are subject to acute shortages at the moment, but some from Giant are beginning to trickle through.
Yep hence suggesting used :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
With all the talk about bike shortages and sky high secondhand prices, it's rather odd that I've just managed to nab a nice late 80's 531 spares machine for twenty squid. I should get my hands on it next week.^_^
its amazing i here of these deals and yet whre i live people are asking nearly a ton for a gas pipe special still

Top Bottom