Build for Cubester's birthday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Very, very green nice.

Good dadding :becool: should that be daddery?

Has he seen it much during the build?
He's seen some but not all of the components, and has deliberately avoided seeing the build itself.

Good dadding? Perhaps, but I have enjoyed myself so far, and needed a project to keep me sane over the last month or so.

And yes, it's a tad green in places. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Looks nice ... he should be very happy with it ... will we get a report back from his first ride?
It's his birthday on Thursday, which is also club night, so his first ride will be a night ride. :biggrin:
I've promised to take him to Llandegla on the Saturday and I can take the camera with me for then.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, Thursday's club ride never happened, it was washed out by torrential downpours of biblical proportions!

Never mind, we had the promised run out to Llandegla yesterday to make sure it works properly!
So, here it is before we set off:
PICT0318.jpg

Here it is in the car park. I suppose this sort of thing is inevitable with 13 year olds. Apparently "It wheelies and manuals really easily Dad!"
wheelie.jpg

Just after the big long open hillside descent
PICT0323.jpg

waiting whiles we finish our beans on toast:
PICT0324.jpg

Back home, tired and dirty: (anyone spot the continuity errors?)
PICT0335.jpg

The verdict? Best thing since sliced bread. He loves it. We met three other people on Ragleys and of course he enthused like an expert on the various spec options! He cleaned it when we got home, (lovingly,)has ridden it at the local quarry this afternoon and is currently cleaning it, lovingly, again.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was thinking about it on Friday and wondering how it went... and yes I spotted the error in the very first photo before I had read any further.

Glad he enjoyed it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
(Looks up manuals...) Ah, freewheeling wheelies!

Being an old git, I've never actually deliberately done a wheelie though I have accidentally done them on very steep climbs both on and off road. I do quite fancy learning how to do wheelies on my road bike on the flat but I'm a bit scared of falling backwards off the bike.

Cubester's bike looks great and I'm glad that he is enjoying it!

Oh, is the continuity error the fact that you had the wrong number plate on and replaced it with an illegal temporary one? ;)

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
(Looks up manuals...) Ah, freewheeling wheelies!

Being an old git, I've never actually deliberately done a wheelie though I have accidentally done them on very steep climbs both on and off road. I do quite fancy learning how to do wheelies on my road bike on the flat but I'm a bit scared of falling backwards off the bike.

Cubester's bike looks great and I'm glad that he is enjoying it!

Oh, is the continuity error the fact that you had the wrong number plate on and replaced it with an illegal temporary one? ;)
manuals are vital to get the front wheel up or airborne to cross various obstacles, simply shift your weight beyond the rear hub whilst pulling with straight arms and pushing the pedals down and forwards on a coasting bike..... Wheelies are a power version, where you use a pedal stroke combined with a tug on the bars to lift the wheel under power. Used to lift the front wheel in slower manouevres. Only chavs ride for more than a few pedal strokes on teh back wheel. I'm shoot at both!

The number plate is like it is because the car dealer that sold me the car 3 weeks ago forgot to send off the V5, so I can't get a number plate made for the bike rack. That's one change. Can anyone spot the other howler?

beastie

Guru
manuals are vital to get the front wheel up or airborne to cross various obstacles, simply shift your weight beyond the rear hub whilst pulling with straight arms and pushing the pedals down and forwards on a coasting bike..... Wheelies are a power version, where you use a pedal stroke combined with a tug on the bars to lift the wheel under power. Used to lift the front wheel in slower manouevres. Only chavs ride for more than a few pedal strokes on teh back wheel. I'm shoot at both!

The number plate is like it is because the car dealer that sold me the car 3 weeks ago forgot to send off the V5, so I can't get a number plate made for the bike rack. That's one change. Can anyone spot the other howler?

The name on the bike appears to change from white to black.

nice bike tho

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I usually just bunnyhop my bikes but haven't tried the wheelie or manual approach. I've mistimed bunnyhops on occasions and caught the front wheel on the log (or whatever it is that I'm trying to get over), with comic and/or painful results!

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
The name on the bike appears to change from white to black.

nice bike tho
Right!

The decals come in a pack with a choice of white or black. Being a clever sort of git I put the black ones on then overlaid the white ones to give a 3d shadow effect. Only problme is they're transfers, and so the white transfers sat over the top of the black backing plastic. They got grit under thenm but when we realised we peeled the backing plastic off leaving the black decals. Dohhh!

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Lucky boy. How's it going?
He has spent the last three or four days practising all the trick moves in a local church carpark. His phone now has endless footage of manuals, bunny hops, endos, wheelies. I think he likes it........
If tomorrow's weather is any good we'll have the club ride to test it out over mixed and XC style stuff rather than trail centres.

Top Bottom