Build for Cubester's birthday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've been pestered to build a bike for Cubester. He is mad keen on a particular bike, and hasset about raising enough budget to build a good spec MTB. I won't give too much away, as I would also like to document the build stages.

I've spent the last three weeks researching and scouring for bargain/discount components, and at the end of last week was ready to put the first orders in. The full build will be around the £1200 mark, with Cubester selling everything he owns to raise enough cash for me to start. The first of the boxes have arrived, so we'll start with some opening and teasing:
DSC_0083-1.jpg

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
DSC_0080-2.jpg

Can you tell what it is yet?

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's gone to the LBS tonight to have the BB faced and fitted, and the fork fitted. The rest will be added once I've clamped it into my luvverly new Lidl workstand. (I bought the last one in Huddersfield yesterday, :whistle: )

Another box of goodies from CRC:
DSC_0081-1.jpg

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well it's back from the LBS, fork and Chainset fitted:
DSC_0087-1.jpg

The stem might be the last clue you'll need!
DSC_0089-1.jpg

Fashion statment? Or jkust good kit. Everybody's raving about double and bash
DSC_0090-1.jpg

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Let's just hope that in a year's time he's not just using it to pootle off to the shops and back for a big bottle of cheap Laser.
No chance.

A bit of skilful and dedicated parenting and he only drinks White Lightening......

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Nice bike tho. What's with the forks?
stu
They're 140mm big hitters. The build is an all-mountain hardtail, designed to take big drops and rocky stuff. The sort of stuff his current XC style hardtail will suffer on! I got them seriously reduced. The LBS owner bought them to put on his own bike and in a moment of serious stupidity cut the steerer to 180m, thus rendering them completely useless for his bike. I came along mentioning the new build and of course we soon worked out that they would fit the 4.5 inch headtube on the Ragley. So I end up with a £650 RRP fork at £400 fitted. Lucky me. :smile:

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Top Bottom