Build Your Own Truing Stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

first you got to buy a vice, which, to be honest, is more expensive that a wheel truer itself

barq

That's quite a nice website - I hope they add more content along the same lines.

I guess if you don't have a vice (and for that matter a spare fork) then it is expensive, but a lot of enthusiasts would have both. I like some of the other designs more - I can imagine that many home-brew stands would be more rigid than a cheap truing stand.

bobg

Über Member
Suggest you take the tyre and tube off if you're doing it in situ and the run out is anything more than really trivial. My adjustment just pulled one spoke head a little high - result 2 punctures ....:sad:

e-rider

crappy member
There are many ways to straighten a wheel and I've tried quite a few of them. You can true the wheel fairly well but if you really want it perfectly straight and round you'll really need to get a purpose built jig - Minoura offer a good one for about £60. If you've got plenty of time other options are a lot cheaper (even free) and can produce fairly good results.

e-rider

crappy member
I forgot to mention - experience and practice are more valuable than any sort of jig! Take your time and make small adjustments each time.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
tundragumski said:
There are many ways to straighten a wheel and I've tried quite a few of them. You can true the wheel fairly well but if you really want it perfectly straight and round you'll really need to get a purpose built jig - Minoura offer a good one for about £60. If you've got plenty of time other options are a lot cheaper (even free) and can produce fairly good results.
A purpose built jig makes building and truing quicker to do, but you can build a perfect wheel in the forks. As long as you have two reference points the whell will be as good as the builders ability to assemble it.

Top Bottom