Building a Bike - Where do i start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi Bilbo...
So you know what you're getting into, i built a bike from scratch with an old frame, and it broke down something like this...bearing in mind this was early last year (prices are roughly right..not exact)
£80 Tiagra wheelset(new)from LBS
£15 Seatpost (used) from ebay
£30 tyres (new) LBS
£10 tubes (new) LBS
£10 8 speed chain Ebay
£10 Sora rear mech (almost new) Ebay
£7 Sora front mech (as above)
£15 San Marco ponza saddle (new) Ebay
£18 Taigra chainset/BB(almost new) Ebay
£10 shifter /brake cables (new) Ebay
£15 Tektro calipers (used) Ebay

I was lucky and had a box full of bits including some used handlebars and Sora shifters, cassette etc etc.

It gave me huge pleasure doing it, searching ebay etc for bargains, added to my mechanical knowledge of bikes...but to be honest, there's not that much that's really that challenging. Setting up the derailleurs is probably the hardest, but with the tutorials on Youtube, even thats quite achieveable.

You'll need a few tools... for the cassette and BB particually.

Go for it i say :biggrin:

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Hi gbb

To be honest, I don't have the experience to be able to mix 'n' match bits from here there and everywhere. I just wouldn't know what was compatable and what wasn't. I would be more inclined to go the new route and buy complete groupsets etc as suggested earlier.

However, with Mr Pig's words ringing in my ears, tonight has been somewhat of a learning experience. I've been trawling CRC's component lists and have come to a couple of shocking revelations:

1. I was completely unaware of just how many components comprise a bike. Absolutely oblivious!!
  2. I hadn't, even in my wildest imaginings, come close to just how costly everything is.
So, where I am right now I'm unsure. I may just persevere, but it will be a slooow project if I do. Or I may see how the future pans out. I'm currently awaiting a Cycle2Work application to be processed. And will be forced to go down the Halford's route thanks to the ineptitude of my employers, Royal Mail. As a result, I had more or less decided to get a Vanquish, or a bottom-end Specialized. If I get a Vanquish, I could always transfer all the parts to my funkier-looking frame, and sell the awful looking 2009 jobbie. :biggrin:

Archie

Errrr.....
I've completed a bike build recently so if you check the threads I've started you'll see the results of the bike build from inception through to final results. I'd agree with the point it's not going to save you money, but as long as your cool with that I'm with the other camp who say you'll gain enormous satisfaction from the project.

I recommend study for now. Get a grip on exactly what you'll need to do to to complete the build. There are so many things to think about, for example what width handlebars do you need, and what size stem to hold them? Once you've got an idea of what's needed you can then think about what you actually want. Then you can look for the components you need with some confidence they'll be fit for purpose when they arrive.

There's lots of learning ahead, but if you're up for it, and prepared to work through the inevitable problems you'll learn more than you thought possible and enjoy enjoy every ride on the bike YOU built.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I'm right in the middle of a build. I bought an old eddy mercx thinking i could salvage a lot of the parts but to be honest apart from the frame forks and shifters i am changing everything. I have had to shop around on ebay but got some great bargains. I think the build will cost the same as a fairly basic road bike but it will be my own unique project. Can't wait to finish it and road test it!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Make sure your seatpin and handle bars match the amount of gears you will have, sometimes 9 speed shifers wont fit on 10 speed bars, and a 9 speed seat pin will only fit onto a bike with 9 speed gears.

Crankarm

Guru
Or just buy a 105 groupset in the end of season sales, a cheap set of wheels, saddle and seat pin, bars and tape and a cheap tool kit and you'll be away. But before you fit it all on a frame you have gone all nostalgic on make sure you get it blasted to see if there are any more holes in it than should be and if ok have it re-enamelled. Vitus frame restorers advertise in the cycling mags.

Or buy a complete bike from Ebay or from the plods selling nicked bikes that they haven't managed to trace the owners.

Or a cheap hyrbrid in the sales.

You're spoilt for choice :becool:.

jimboalee

I've done this before, except I built the frame.

Weigh the frame.
Go onto Ribble and tot up all the components on a spreadsheet to get a weight for the whole bike.
Add 1.5 lb.

Use the witchcraft formula to get a gear length for that 10% incline.

The lowest gear should be at least 6" lower than the 10% if you are using the bike in an area with some 14% gradients.

Now work out the ring/sprocket combination to get the gears you've worked out.

BTW, what DOES the frame weigh?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mr Pig said:
Hate to tell you mate but by the time you go out and buy all of the parts to build it you'll spend more than it would cost you to just go out and buy a bike of similar spec in the shops! Do the maths before you even start.

True - my build is only cheaper because I have a saddle and STi shifters knocking about in the shed.

The plus (for me at least) is that the built bike will be *exactly* what I want, with no need to change parts on the stock bike. (Plus the fun of building it, of course).

It helps to keep a tally of components, suppliers and costs so you know how much you're spending, when bills are due, etc etc

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
John the Monkey said:
It helps to keep a tally of components, suppliers and costs so you know how much you're spending, when bills are due, etc etc

Yes, I did that - components and who supplied them. I used several suppliers, I had to shop around because I wanted shiney silver stuff and everything's black nowadays, and I didn't get bad service from anyone. Remarkable in this day and age!!!

Mr Pig

A friend of mine bought a Carrera mountain bike then proceeded to upgrade most of the parts. He then bought a new frame from Chain Reaction, swapped all the new bits onto it and still had to buy more to finish it.

Nothing wrong with his bike, works fine, but it cost more than it's worth. It cost about three or four hundred more than my bike and it's not as good spec. Plus my bike looks better, at least I think it does, where as his is a bit of a mish-mash. Like I say, it's a perfectly good bike but if he'd walked into a shop and just bought a bike with the money it cost him to build one he would've had a much better bike.

He claims he enjoyed doing it! ;0) Me, I work too hard for my money.

JonoB

Über Member
Mr Pig said:
Hate to tell you mate but by the time you go out and buy all of the parts to build it you'll spend more than it would cost you to just go out and buy a bike of similar spec in the shops! Do the maths before you even start.
Hate to agree. Try secondhand quality parts from Ebay???

Top Bottom