Building a Bike - Where do i start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

Firstly, let me just say that I am largely deficient when it comes to anything mechanical. I would put myself down as the last candidate on earth to build their own bike. However, all that changed today, when I spotted bargain of the century. Carrera Vanquish frame and forks, brand new for £25. Check the "Found a Bargain?" thread for info as they have quite a few frames left.

So, I now have a project ahead of me. Thing is I don't know where to start. Not just with what goes where, and how? But also with buying components. I don't expect to be purchasing individual nuts and bolts, as I realise that certain components will be bought as complete. But I just don't know where to start.

I would like to keep the costs down, but at the same time, keep the spec quite good. So will be looking for clearance items etc.

So, where to start, and what to search for? Any input gratefully received......

Cheers, Andy :smile:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Decide how many gears you want.

Joe24

Then, when you have decided how many gears you want, you can get rear mech.
Triple or double or compact double? Can get BB, crankset, front mech. Also a chain.
Get wheels(can get these before)
Stem, bars, seat pin, seat you can just get.
When you know how many gears, yu can get your changers.

Decide on your max budget. Make a list of the bits you would most like, and some alternatives.

Then most importantly shop around, I find the best bargains online. It also pays to buy last years kit, theres usually very little difference in spec but can save you £s

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Cheers Joe24

Just quickly, what is the difference, in laymans terms, between compact and normal? I will probably be opting for a double, and would like to keep the gearing reasonably high.

All the best, Andy :smile:

Joe24

BilboSmeggins said:
Cheers Joe24

Just quickly, what is the difference, in laymans terms, between compact and normal? I will probably be opting for a double, and would like to keep the gearing reasonably high.

All the best, Andy :smile:

Compact you have a greater difference between the 2 chain rings, like 12 tooth difference.
Normal doulbe you would have a smaller difference, so you might have a 53 tooth and a 44 or 46 tooth as the small ring.
Compact sort of have about the same range as a triple, but misses out at the top end and bottom end slightly.

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
addictfreak said:
Decide on your max budget. Make a list of the bits you would most like, and some alternatives.

Then most importantly shop around, I find the best bargains online. It also pays to buy last years kit, theres usually very little difference in spec but can save you £s

Hi AF

Ordinarily that would be sound advise, but in my case you really are dealing with an idiot. Thing is I've not been around cycling for more years than I care to admit, so have no idea what I'm looking for, component wise. An awful lot seems to have changed. I'm hearing you about "last year's kit", though. I'm all for that. :smile:

Mr Pig

Hate to tell you mate but by the time you go out and buy all of the parts to build it you'll spend more than it would cost you to just go out and buy a bike of similar spec in the shops! Do the maths before you even start.

Virtual DBP

i'm in a similar position to you in that i want to build/re-build an old bicycle i have that has a good frame.

i appreciate that i could probably buy just as good if not better than i'd spend but what i'm wanting to get out of it is a mechanical appreciation and experience that i wouldn't get from simply buying another bike from the shop.

and as you said, you can buy one component now and then buy another when you have some money again.

MajorMantra

Joe24 said:
Compact you have a greater difference between the 2 chain rings, like 12 tooth difference.
Normal doulbe you would have a smaller difference, so you might have a 53 tooth and a 44 or 46 tooth as the small ring.
Compact sort of have about the same range as a triple, but misses out at the top end and bottom end slightly.

Your numbers seem a little off to me. A typical compact is something like 50/34 (16t gap) and a standard double is something like 53/39, 52/42, 52/39 etc. (10-14t gap).

Andy,

Have a play with this and compare to what you already have to determine appropriate gearing.

If you don't have the energy to scrounge and barter for every component it'd be worth looking at complete groupsets from the last couple of years. Something like this is a decent deal.

For other useful bits have a look at Planet-X's FSA clearance - lots of goodies there.

Matthew

PpPete

Legendary Member
+ 1
But OP has already justified his reasons for going down this potentially more expensive road.

Personally I'd suggest a triple rather than a compact - but that's just me.

Top Bottom