Building a Recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Always one to save money when I haven't got it I have been thinking of building a recumbent. Has anyone here done this before?

I am still thinking about a cargo vehicle that I can use for work so it will probably be along the lines of an AVD Stablemate. However, despite having some engineering background I only have a wood workshop and some heavy engineering tools. I am sure that I could build one that weighs 400kg but that would be pointless.

Are there any specific parts that I would have to buy? I am figuring I will need brakes, gear sets, pedal and chainset, general cycle components, etc. Are there wheels that would be easy to convert to single side mounting or are they specials?

If there is anyone in the Manchester or North West area who is happy for me to measure up their recumbent so I can get some dimensions that would be really helpful.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

byegad

Legendary Member
Visit the BHPC site for details on how to build a 'bent.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thanks Mickle, I am sure I can get over there at some point. I've been several times but have only driven around droping off and picking up, I've never managed to park yet.
Where am I looking for?

PrettyboyTim

I like the look of this recumbent, if only because it doesn't require any welding :rolleyes:

Building a recumbent is easy and we've built loads at Cyclemagic.

Basically, you weld loads of stuff together and then angle grind off anything that doesn't look like a recumbent.

Hope that helps:biggrin:

Seriously, try and ride as many as you can before you start building and expect to make several alterations until you're happy.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I want to collect the essential bits first. Chain rings and pedals, front wheels, rear wheel(s) and then start mocking up in wood.

Once I have the form worked out I can then look at the structural requirements and see if I can do it all in wood or if I start looking for nice bits of tube.

Top Bottom