Building a Recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Now there's a thought! A small steam engine located behind the seat so the heat is left behind in the slipstream. Now what to power it with? Coal or oil would be messy...

Beans! I could eat lots of beans!
:smile:

Night Train said:
Now there's a thought! A small steam engine located behind the seat so the heat is left behind in the slipstream. Now what to power it with? Coal or oil would be messy...

Beans! I could eat lots of beans!
:smile:

Then run it off methane? can you wear shorts with a hose pipe up your arse?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Night Train said:
:wacko:
Wheels are old hat, I have this great system of cabriole legs with a claw and ball bearing foot...

You need WEGS. Can't find it online but I've seen a great little video. It's wheels, made of legs (bit like the Isle of Man three legged thingy), for little robots, means they can climb steps etc...

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've finally managed to pick up a dead KMX from Spandex (thank you very much) and rebuild it. It had a badly broken back and a number of other bits were either missing or broke. It does, however, give me a rolling chassis to build up on to trial mods on.
So I have rebuilt the chassis with a replacement 50mm one piece round tube to replace the square section two piece tube. The tube is the leg from a steel frame bunk bed found at the scrappies. Not great but it serves its purpose.
KMXFrameMod.jpg

I beat the ends of the tube square and welded it to the stubs of the original tube. It is straight to within 1mm so it is close enough. I will weld a square section to it to take the seat mount as it saves making a round seat mount that then swivels and pitches me off. Taken three hours of messing about to get this far.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Oh my god! What indignities did you undergo to get the KMX??

BTW, if I bring my KMX to you can you make the same bunk bed conversion so I can avoid breaking the back of mine? ;)

tdr1nka said:

BTW, if I bring my KMX to you can you make the same bunk bed conversion so I can avoid breaking the back of mine? ;)

He's a total prevert that Spandex.

It's definitely worth welding the buggers up before their spine breaks.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
tdr1nka said:

The conversion is a sound bodge but very ugly. With hindsight, and with less damage, I would remove the plastics from the sliding joint and just weld the two parts together with flitch plates across the joint. Replacing the whole tube with round was a pain. as the steering didn't clear it and the seat mounts needed fiddly setting up. Also a jig is needed to ensure the chassis is straight. Mine had a very slight twist which was resolved with a bit of leverage.

The other option I had was to use a new piece of square tube but all I had in stock was 3.2 mm wall and weighed more then the whole KMX chassis.

Top Bottom