Building a retro Bar Top Arcade Machine

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by fossyant, 6 Dec 2018 at 15:15.

1. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I've been contemplating this for a while using emulators for running classic arcade games (MAME) . I already have it all set up on my laptop but the xbox type controllers aren't great.

You can buy flat packed cabinets straight off ebay/amazon or make your own. I currently have an older mini PC with an i5 processor, so it's faster than the PI 3. All I'd need is a case/build own case and the joystick and buttons, which are readily available. We have a couple of old 17" 4:3 monitors which are ideal.

Buy flatpacked, or make own case ? Hmm.

Anyone done one ?

booze and cake likes this.
  2. Threevok

Threevok Carpe Rotam

No, but I love the idea

I think we need a step-by-step thread for this - once you get started :becool:

3. colly

colly Re member eR

I have always wanted a genuine pinball machine at home.

Mrs Colly would not play ball though :sad::sad::sad: (literally)

Cycleops and Threevok like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I will.

Just been thinking about the 'machine' for a while. We have a Pi 2 that would be ideal, but the old PC is a bit more powerful and can run a few other emulators.

The main problem so far has been with getting the correct version of Mame and Roms. The version of Mame has to match the ROM versions, otherwise some games won't work.

Well, I found a huge pack of version 0.197 on a retro gaming site theoldcomputer.com. I'd previously subscribed (£10 lifetime membership) so downloaded 50 GIG of Roms. I then installed version 0.197 of MAME (latest is 202). Anyway, looks like over 12000 games work !!

That's all on the laptop, so I'll copy them over to the retro machine.

You can get the buttons/joystick from £22 for a single player. These all wire up to a USB interface board, which you then connect to the PC.

Threevok and ColinJ like this.
  5. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

I had,probally still have mame on a old computer in my kids room.Its got everything retro on it.Not that my kids think its any good.If i do say so myself im pretty good on "mr do" many a day wagging school playing that game.

6. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

7. booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

Sounds great, will keep an eye on the thread, good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice