Building a retro Bar Top Arcade Machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been contemplating this for a while using emulators for running classic arcade games (MAME) . I already have it all set up on my laptop but the xbox type controllers aren't great.

You can buy flat packed cabinets straight off ebay/amazon or make your own. I currently have an older mini PC with an i5 processor, so it's faster than the PI 3. All I'd need is a case/build own case and the joystick and buttons, which are readily available. We have a couple of old 17" 4:3 monitors which are ideal.

Buy flatpacked, or make own case ? Hmm.

Anyone done one ?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
No, but I love the idea

I think we need a step-by-step thread for this - once you get started :becool:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

No, but I love the idea

I think we need a step-by-step thread for this - once you get started :becool:

I will.

Just been thinking about the 'machine' for a while. We have a Pi 2 that would be ideal, but the old PC is a bit more powerful and can run a few other emulators.

The main problem so far has been with getting the correct version of Mame and Roms. The version of Mame has to match the ROM versions, otherwise some games won't work.

Well, I found a huge pack of version 0.197 on a retro gaming site theoldcomputer.com. I'd previously subscribed (£10 lifetime membership) so downloaded 50 GIG of Roms. I then installed version 0.197 of MAME (latest is 202). Anyway, looks like over 12000 games work !!

That's all on the laptop, so I'll copy them over to the retro machine.

You can get the buttons/joystick from £22 for a single player. These all wire up to a USB interface board, which you then connect to the PC.

Adam4868

Guru
I had,probally still have mame on a old computer in my kids room.Its got everything retro on it.Not that my kids think its any good.If i do say so myself im pretty good on "mr do" many a day wagging school playing that game.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Donor PC is now fully loaded and I've found the slightly more reliable 17" 4:3 monitor in the roof. Plan is to order buttons/joystick in the new year then start a build.

I've got Mame with 12,000 games loaded on the main laptop, and I've finally found my Mega Drive 'Arcade Power Stick' - so much better playing Pac Man with a big chunky joystick. I bought a USB to megadrive controller adapter a long time ago, but 'lost' the Mega Drive in the attic.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

A refurbished HP Grade "A" 4:3 20" monitor has been ordered. Just £26.99 as it has no stand (I won't be needing a stand).

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

The monitor has arrived so I popped out for two sheets of 18mm MDF and some wood glue. I've got lots of other timber spare.

Downloaded a template from here

https://www.instructables.com/id/2-Player-Bartop-Arcade-Machine-Powered-by-Pi/

I'm using an old mini PC, so I've made my case a bit deeper to accommodate it.

1st step was cutting the sides

20190106_151216[1].jpg

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Slight update.

Most Arcade cabinets are finished off with a T moulding - needs a 'router' to do a slot in the wood - I don't have one, it's too specific a tool - I have loads of other tools. Just mentioned my 'project' to my dad, and he has a router.... it's a big unit, but I just need a slot cutting in the side casings.... Hmm... My 'dad' has just got interested...

PS I'm the only 'practical' kid to turn out of the 4 of us - we came from 'practical' parents, they weren't 'professionals', but all of us kids are 'professionals' - solicitor, insurance underwriter, and my Bro a dentist.. me an accountant - I'm the only one that is practical - i.e. woodwork.

My bro, I wouldn't let near a 'big drill' :ohmy:

PS we 'kids' are now 40s....

Last edited:
Top Bottom