Building a retro Bar Top Arcade Machine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bit of progress today.
20190112_181734.jpg
20190112_181827.jpg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That was my plan. But if my old man has the tools this will give a better finish.

Buttons, graphics and speakers arrived today.

View attachment 446725
Looking at your plans ( posted ) that looks like edge banding to me and it reminded me of what i know on old arcade machines . Also the outer casing had a black wood grain effect . I could be wrong of course given 35ish years have passed :whistle:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Looking at your plans ( posted ) that looks like edge banding to me and it reminded me of what i know on old arcade machines . Also the outer casing had a black wood grain effect . I could be wrong of course given 35ish years have passed :whistle:

You are right !!

I'll see how this build goes - loads of MDF dust as it is.. I'll see how the primer/undercoat goes on the edges yet, before thinking about a 'finish'. The 'edging' comes in loads of colours, but I may keep it just painted. I plan a silver carbon fibre effect vinyl for the joystick panel and the inside edge of the the unit. The outside I'm thinking bright red painted, with retro vinyl 'characters'. The back will be matt black, to fit in with the pc.

You can get full vinyl wraps for them that look incredible, but are expensive.

I'm in about £100 on MDF, screws/fittings/primer-udercoat etc, and a good £100 in on the monitor, controls, speakers, vinyl stickers. PC was 'free'. Monitor £27, controls £45, Speakers £12...

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Forgive me if I'm giving an egg sucking lesson, but MDF dust is carcinogenic.

Great project, enjoying this one.

Yep - I'm cutting outside, and it was 'windy' today - it still gets in your eyes ! Certainly not cutting in a building.. moved the cars off the drive and used the 'space'.

Not a great fan of MDF, but it's good for this type of 'project'. :okay:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

No longer tabletop then but more upright. Can't easily stick pint on top.

I think my BIL will ask to borrow it, as he has a 'bar shed'... cabinet on his 'bar' - pint's next to it !! My other BIL has already requested a few games.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Forgive me if I'm giving an egg sucking lesson, but MDF dust is carcinogenic.

Great project, enjoying this one.
Wow , thats a new one on me . Been working with the stuff for 30 years and its had many different illnesses attached to it that no one has ever suffered from because of it . Although i guess given another 70 years it will be the new asbestos .
Fossy , i'll have a dig around in the workshop when i get time . I have some veneer ( maple i think ) stained up black will give the wood effect and also some edge banding ( if i can find it )
all off cuts i can donate :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I played about with MAME many years ago - it was fun. I also found some of my old favourite games at Classic Reload.

Is there some sort of menu system for MAME or will you have to run individual games from icons on the Windows desktop?

I have an old PC which I could use for a similar project.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Sounds really cool man. I love Mame, only play a handful, Galaxian, Phoenix, Scramble, Moon Cresta, Frogger and Gorf. Galaxian is the boy though.. Sounds like an awesome project, best of luck..

Top Bottom