Building Hope.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhawk

Veteran
Hi guys!

First off, I hope this doesn't break any rules, if so, Shaun, feel free to remove it.

It has long been a dream of my father's to build his own homestead, and live a simple, off-the-grid life, after spending so much of his time connected to a computer (He's an IT technician). Now while this has long been a dream, he's not always been in a position to do it. Now, it seems that he finally is, and he needs help to get there!

He's started a GoFundMe page, to help fund a Sustainable Education Centre, with the hopes of building a community of sorts, around this education centre. Well, I wouldn't be able to explain it as well as the project description does, so I present: The Sustainable Education Center"...

http://www.gofundme.com/buildinghope

If you can, please share, Tweet, +1, or just give it a mention at a family gathering and/or to co-workers who might be interested in helping him out. And, if you want, feel free to make a donation. You would have his undying gratitude and be making a man's dream - a reality.

Thank you,

Jack.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Jack,

Tell your dad to get in touch with the Centre for Alternative Energy in Wales... they started exactly as your dad wants to, but about 40 years ago. http://www.cat.org.uk/index.html

When we were architectural students in 1977 to 83, the Machynlleth Centre was a wonderful mix of alternative hippy lifestyles and a love for living off grid and getting back to nature.... the establishment was wary of the group who didn't conform to what was expected at the time. We loved the idea of alternative energy and tried hard to take our lecturers with us but only one was up for it.... fantastic services engineer called Bill McCallum.... we used to paint radiators black and cover them with cold frames and test how how much hot water we could create from the sun.... http://content.cat.org.uk/index.php/how-cat-started

@Flying_Monkey has similar intentions to build an off-grid house in Canada... be worth contacting him.

There are off-grid houses and communities that your dad could get in touch with.... Google Kevan Trott for information about Earthships- he's also on Facebook.... he helps build alternative low-energy passive houses.

I'd love to go out and help your dad but commitments keep me here.... but one day!

Good luck to him...

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
He wants to be self sufficient, yet he wants other people to fund his lifestyle?!

Not exactly, as Archie pointed out, it will take funding to get it off the ground. But once he's up-and-running, he hopes to live self-sufficiently. The educational/community aspect of it all is his real goal here.

Also, many thanks @Archie_tect I'll check those people/organisations mentioned in your post out, and pass the information along to the old man. :smile:

Last edited:
Not exactly, as Archie pointed out, it will take funding to get it off the ground. But once he's up-and-running, he hopes to live self-sufficiently. The educational/community aspect of it all is his real goal here.
@Sandra6 does have a point. It maybe better if he sought donations specifically for the community and educational aspects. Off the grid lifestyle is a personal choice and does not benefit the general community. Even putting forth arguments on matters such as reduced carbon foot print is quite a reach. There is also no connections between living off the grid and community and educational facilities and services. The connection is usually the produce and products ( the surplus output) that are provided free or below cost to further a cause that benefits the community.

Bank will not loan for such things even if the deposit is raised and the PRA will not allow it. That means that it becomes a personal loan secured on assets and guaranteed by a salaried individual or a business owner with clear financial cash flow. Alternatively secondary market lenders charge quite high interest and they will recover their loan by any means.

There is also the legal requirement of putting together a prospectus with full disclosure to anyone who is expected to put funds into this venture to buy land and build etc. Best to seek legal expertise.

Pointy boy

Über Member
He wants to be self sufficient, yet he wants other people to fund his lifestyle?!

Funny how when someone steps forward with a worthwhile and commendable dream, there is always a cynic ready to shoot them down in flames...some people....

@jhawk - your father's 'dream' sounds wonderful. So great when anyone pursues their dream, even better when that dream is one like this, of so much potential benefit to others. I will share his story, and wish him every possible success.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
Funny how when someone steps forward with a worthwhile and commendable dream, there is always a cynic ready to shoot them down in flames...some people....

@jhawk - your father's 'dream' sounds wonderful. So great when anyone pursues their dream, even better when that dream is one like this, of so much potential benefit to others. I will share his story, and wish him every possible success.

Going to leave the first part alone. Don't want this thread to descend into personal attacks against anybody.

Thanks for the kind words Pointy, and sharing, I'll pass them along.

@Arrowfoot Very true, I'm not sure what the legal parts surrounding land ownership are in Canada, or anywhere else for that matter. As mentioned, and perhaps I should have made it clearer, the intention is to build up an educational centre with regard to off-grid living, organic farming, and all sorts of other nature-friendly, eco-centric things. Rather than subsidize my father's off-grid-living ideals.

@Arrowfoot Very true, I'm not sure what the legal parts surrounding land ownership are in Canada, or anywhere else for that matter. As mentioned, and perhaps I should have made it clearer, the intention is to build up an educational centre with regard to off-grid living, organic farming, and all sorts of other nature-friendly, eco-centric things. Rather than subsidize my father's off-grid-living ideals.

One easier approach is to organise and run this as a registered charity which is much easier in terms of receiving donations. Your Dad can also draw remuneration for the effort expended which is totally acceptable. The charity approach is also a lot of more effective, less legal fees, reduced risk of litigation and that is the reason why most people take this path when giving back to the community.

OP
OP
jhawk

jhawk

Veteran
One easier approach is to organise and run this as a registered charity which is much easier in terms of receiving donations. Your Dad can also draw remuneration for the effort expended which is totally acceptable. The charity approach is also a lot of more effective, less legal fees, reduced risk of litigation and that is the reason why most people take this path when giving back to the community.

Thanks Arrowfoot. Will pass this on. :smile:

Top Bottom