Building leg strength without hurting the knee's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Well I may be off the bike for a while...are there any ways to build up my leg muscle, especially the thighs, without involving the knee's so much?

Cheers

BIGSESAL

Almost all weight bearing exercise will push forces through the knee. Swimming can be a good way to build up muscle without putting pressure on the knees.

You're a bit stuck as the knee is crucial to most exercises. Stiff legged dead lifts mainly work the lower back, but the thighs need to be well tensed to carry the opposite force, so they may help. Still puts force through the knee, if not moving force.

What have you done anyway?

Jim_Noir

Loads and loads of squats with weights ski squats too, lunges with weigths and burpes. Get a heavy bag and kick the living day light out it. stiff-legged Dead lifts and steap-ups with weights.... and ye old standing calf raise followed by tibia raises. Also if you can do them them donkey calf raise, but videio yourself doing these and post the vid :biggrin:

Just don't lock the knees out and keep them bent a bit, even doing the deadlifts.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I got some annoying thing where the kneecap isnt lining up properly.... I am seeing physio on monday...so thanks for the recommendations Jim Noir....but those excersizes will destroy my knees :rolleyes:

col

Legendary Member
montage said:
I got some annoying thing where the kneecap isnt lining up properly.... I am seeing physio on monday...so thanks for the recommendations Jim Noir....but those excersizes will destroy my knees :rolleyes:

Unfortunately due to your knee you cant really build muscle , you need that sorting first as there needs to be considerable pressure on the knees to get any real results. Light exercises as long as it doesnt hurt can keep you ticking over though until your knee is sorted.

ASC1951

Guru
Jim_Noir said:
Loads and loads of squats with weights
I'd be very careful about that. Check with the physio first - it's easy to cause further knee damage doing squats with weights.

I think you're much safer with swimming, especially with training fins or no-hands i.e. with a float.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
ASC1951 said:
I'd be very careful about that. Check with the physio first - it's easy to cause further knee damage doing squats with weights.

I think you're much safer with swimming, especially with training fins or no-hands i.e. with a float.

I know that this will damage my knees further. I can go swimming (got to wake up earlier though :thumbsup: ) .... just can't really be bothered to go 4/5 times a week to maintain fitness lol. Will ankle weights do anything for me?

I am Spartacus

Über Member
You might be surprised when your physio .. if he or she is any good , prescribes strength training for your legs then won't you?

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I am Spartacus said:
You might be surprised when your physio .. if he or she is any good , prescribes strength training for your legs then won't you?

nope.
If I have a muscle imbalance then the physio will correct that with strengthening excersizes...

Will1985

Über Member
Have cleat shims been suggested at all? They can help correct pronation/supination at the ankle, knee and hip. If not, a trip to CycleFit may be worth it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What have you done to your knee then ?

Cycling is mainly cardio efficiency (yeh leg strength, but the CV system is where it's at) - see what the physio mentions - maybe rowing in a gym, but without the leg movements....

Dan B

Disengaged member
montage said:
I got some annoying thing where the kneecap isnt lining up properly.... I am seeing physio on monday...
If it's a kneecap tracking thing, there's a good chance it's due to an imbalance between your inner and outer thigh muscles, and *any* exercise to build up the outers will therefore be counterproductive.

Do the exercises Mr Physio gives

montage said:
nope.
If I have a muscle imbalance then the physio will correct that with strengthening excersizes...

I bet this is a weakness in your Vastus Medialis Obliquus (VMO). I'm no expert, but I had problems with this following knee surgery. If this is the case then it is likely that the physio will have you doing exercises that require short squats, i.e. only bending you leg slightly. It is in this range of movement, that you use your VMO apparently. The VMO is the muscle on the inside front of the thigh that should pull your patella (knee cap) over to the centre

Sound like you might have Chondromalacia Patellae.

Jim_Noir

If you don't want to put a load on your knee but work the thighs then get a football. Pump it up, lie on your back with the ball between your thighs and try and burst the ball. if you hold your legs up straigh off the ground you will work the abs too.
Also, no I not good at explaining this so bare with me :rolleyes:. Go on all 4s, lift your leg as if you are a dog doing a pee, do it to the count of 4 or slower, and do as many reps on each leg as you can. also doggy style, push one leg behing you straight about an inch off the groundthen bend the knee to work the hammie, straighten leg and lower.
Lie on your side top leg is out at 90o from your hip, knee bent, lift the back leg (which is straight) about an inch off the ground, then lower. Do them slow and controlled.

The knee is the weak joint and if you can build the muscle around it. Yoga and pilates are a good send for the hips, core, knees and ankles. I used to have hellish problems after fights with my left ankle, not had one problem since taking up yoga and pilates. Also rosehip, tesco do it cheap as chips, is wonderfull for the joints.

Top Bottom