Building leg strength without hurting the knee's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
squars with heavy weights will explode your knees if you already have probs, even if you strap up, I wouldn't recommend it.

Can you do squats without any weights without pain in the knees?

Bill Gates

Sit against a wall with your back straight and nothing to support you but your thighs which should be horizontal and your calfs vertical. Start off with 30 seconds and work up from there. Your thighs will burn like mad and when you stop you will be very stiff for a few minutes .

When I was racing many years ago I used this exercise to simulate the burn and the suffering I wanted to experience in my legs for a short TT. Hard to believe now but over time I was able to manage the exercise for 10 minutes. It won't replace CV training though.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Well my issue is IT band whatsitmajig. So lots of spespfic stretching, then later excersizes to reduce the musle imbalance. Allowed on the bike once a week aslong as I keep it to 30 mins and spin (I think we can stretch this to twice a week :shy: ) .....so I guess it is time to hop in the local swimming pool every morning. Cheers for all the ideas, something to strongly consider (though I don't want to increase the muscle imbalance)

Jim_Noir

Up here in Glasgow, and I would think all of the UKs NHS would be the same, you just go along (for my local hospital it's a Wednesday) an wait for a physio to see you. Sure you could be there all day, but better than waiting months on end. To be honest when I had my ankle issue I found the Physio at the hospital shite... well more the fact she said stop running and stop your training. I then went to a ciropractor and two sessions with her helped (she was the one that told me to do yoga and pilates) and since then I have had not one joint or muscle issue (touch wood)

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Jim_Noir said:
Up here in Glasgow, and I would think all of the UKs NHS would be the same, you just go along (for my local hospital it's a Wednesday) an wait for a physio to see you. Sure you could be there all day, but better than waiting months on end. To be honest when I had my ankle issue I found the Physio at the hospital shite... well more the fact she said stop running and stop your training. I then went to a ciropractor and two sessions with her helped (she was the one that told me to do yoga and pilates) and since then I have had not one joint or muscle issue (touch wood)

Not a chance is it the same!!

I have had to go private (get it really cheap though as I am a student :shy: ) - and it is infact a chiropracter... but chiropracter...physio....same old same old

Jim_Noir

montage said:
Not a chance is it the same!!

I have had to go private (get it really cheap though as I am a student ;) ) - and it is infact a chiropracter... but chiropracter...physio....same old same old

I thought a Physio was muscle and a chirpracter was bones... or is it a chiropracter can charge more, for the same!

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Jim_Noir said:
I thought a Physio was muscle and a chirpracter was bones... or is it a chiropracter can charge more, for the same!

No idea, but seeing she knows the business about IT and is part of my cycling club....so it is all good.

No a physio bases their work on science and best practice, a chiropractor bases their work on mumbo jumbo and hearsay....;)

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
No a physio bases their work on science and best practice, a chiropractor bases their work on mumbo jumbo and hearsay....:sad:

You obviously have proof to make that statement?:tongue:
All these practices have their uses.

Dan B

Disengaged member
col said:
You obviously have proof to make that statement?
Yes, you need cast-iron proof and a deep pocket if you want to say anything about chiropractic that they don't like, otherwise they may sue you for libel

http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/index.php/site/project/333/

You may disagree with me, but I think this is pretty crap: if they have a defensible position they should defend it in debate, not try to silence their critics

col

Legendary Member
coruskate said:
Yes, you need cast-iron proof and a deep pocket if you want to say anything about chiropractic that they don't like, otherwise they may sue you for libel

http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/index.php/site/project/333/

You may disagree with me, but I think this is pretty crap: if they have a defensible position they should defend it in debate, not try to silence their critics

No I agree with you, but if they do have a defensible position, why shouldnt they use the law. its what its for isnt it? After all isnt that what most libel is? someone not liking what others have said?
Just the fact that they can sue shows they do have a defence doesnt it?

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
magnatom said:
I bet this is a weakness in your Vastus Medialis Obliquus (VMO). I'm no expert, but I had problems with this following knee surgery. If this is the case then it is likely that the physio will have you doing exercises that require short squats, i.e. only bending you leg slightly. It is in this range of movement, that you use your VMO apparently. The VMO is the muscle on the inside front of the thigh that should pull your patella (knee cap) over to the centre

Sound like you might have Chondromalacia Patellae.

I think I had that in an Italian restaurant once! :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
kneecaps - pah! Who needs them?

I'm puzzled by the question. During and after the removal of my left kneecap the orthopaedic surgeon recommended cycling - as an alternative to steroid therapy which, it transpired, damaged a lot of children with the same condition (Still's Disease) beyond repair.

So I'm not sure how critical the alignment of a kneecap is to muscular effort.

*The weight weenies on this forum will doubtless be doing their little sums. About 75gm is my best guess.

Top Bottom